Talk

Advanced search

My Dh wants to charge my DS £5.00 per day rent!!

(128 Posts)
Coffeecupempty Tue 16-Aug-16 13:46:09

My DS is 19 he has 2 part time jobs -supermarket earns around £500 p/m the other is bar work which he is paid cash plus a few tips but isn't regular hours each week.

My DH (not his dad) says he should pay his way and wants to charge £5 per day. I'm all for him contributing but is this too much? My DS thinks it's an unfair amount and it's starting to cause arguments. Just wondered if anyone had any advice?

phoenix1973 Tue 16-Aug-16 13:52:16

Ask your ds to look at the rental section of the paper or online.
Ask him to let you know how many places he can find with £5 daily rent including food and bills, plus laundry and cooking services.
I know the answer will be zero, but it's an exercise in money for him.
He's working which is good.
If you don't need the money still have it but secretly save it for him.

phoenix1973 Tue 16-Aug-16 13:53:18

I was paying £35 a week in 1989 when I earned 75 per week.

SirPugalug Tue 16-Aug-16 13:53:53

Seems fair. My mum charges 50pw to my sisters. 200pm.

He can afford it so yes.

NoFuchsGiven Tue 16-Aug-16 13:54:22

I think that £5 a day is more than reasonable.

DearMrDilkington Tue 16-Aug-16 13:54:37

His not a baby, I agree get him to find somewhere to live for £5 a day. His an adult time to start living like one I'm afraid.

Artandco Tue 16-Aug-16 13:54:52

That's £35 a week. Can he rent his own place for £35 a week? That's £140 a month so still plenty left from income.

I would maybe suggest £100 a month as a compromise though to allow him to save a bit more

PotteringAlong Tue 16-Aug-16 13:54:57

I think your DH is being generous with only £35 a week all in. Of course he should pay his way.

LuckySantangelo1 Tue 16-Aug-16 13:55:54

Late 90s when I was 18 I used to pay £60 a month, all in. I was earning £650 a month at that time.

PotteringAlong Tue 16-Aug-16 13:56:13

If your DS doesn't like it tell him to move out. I bet it looks like a more attractive package then...

Sparklesilverglitter Tue 16-Aug-16 13:56:15

At 19 I think your ds should be contributing something. I think £5 per day is very reasonable.

£5 a day for food, rent, bills, washing- Absoulte bargin!

Have you shown your DH online how much a private rental would cost on the rent alone?

Sparklesilverglitter Tue 16-Aug-16 13:56:28

Shown your DS not DH

CiderwithBuda Tue 16-Aug-16 13:57:58

I was paying £20 a week back in the early 80s from a take home pay of £45 a week. £35 a week now sounds very reasonable.

Scarriff Tue 16-Aug-16 13:58:15

Should adult children contribute to the household, not necessarily pay rent? Well yes of course, but that contribution need not always be cash. Maybe some cooking, cleaning, gardening, decorating, babysitting might be appropriate too.

Why do I have the feeling that this question is more about the relationship between your dh & your ds? Its not always about money is it?

Eatthecake Tue 16-Aug-16 13:58:55

My ds is 20 and away at uni but come home for the whole summer and while his hear for the summer he pays £20 to help cover his food, we don't ask for more than that as we don't need the money but we ask him for that because he is now an adult and you can't live for free in this world.

£5 a day is not expensive at all and at 19 living with you all the time, I can not see what your ds is moaning for

Tell him to pay!

OliviaStabler Tue 16-Aug-16 13:59:22

It is not too much, it sounds very fair to me. If an adult child is earning and living at home, they should pay towards their keep.

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 16-Aug-16 14:00:08

I don't understand the British tendency to charge your own family rent confused having said that, if you're going to charge anything then £5 per day seems pretty low.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Tue 16-Aug-16 14:01:18

I'm Australian and I've never heard of anyone there charging their kids rent!

Lweji Tue 16-Aug-16 14:02:33

Is he studying?

Marmalade85 Tue 16-Aug-16 14:02:32

Why should a 19 year old pay rent to live in the family home?

Maybe ask him to bring in some food shopping and help with cleaning or gardening. Let him save some money and then perhaps he could afford to move out.

Artandco Tue 16-Aug-16 14:03:02

It's not a child though, 19 is an adult

SharonfromEON Tue 16-Aug-16 14:03:43

For me I think it would depend on many factors..Does he contribute to the house..Is he in for meals or just breakfast..

If I didn't need to money I would simply save it towards a deposit for when they left home.

gillybeanz Tue 16-Aug-16 14:03:59

I think it is too much tbh.
Ok you can't get that anywhere else but he has a home already.
How can he ever afford to own his own place or a deposit just to rent if he is paying board on such a low wage.
I would say £50 pm on this wage and encouraging him to save would be far better than £5 a day.

Mine is 21 and pays £100 pm, he works ft on just over mw job. Yes, I could charge him double this but I'd rather he was able to leave home in a couple of years than still have him at home well in his late twenties and thirties.

pestov Tue 16-Aug-16 14:04:16

Is he studying or taking a gap year to save for uni? If so YABU, otherwise I'd go for a flat monthly fee to save arguments when he's out for the night etc. So important to learn how to budget whilst young. If you can afford it, save his contribution and give to him to help with deposit when he does finally move out.

Lweji Tue 16-Aug-16 14:05:36

I'd agree if he had decided to leave full time education, was abusing the home set up (not contributing with housework) or you struggled financially to keep a third adult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now