Overnight home alone

(8 Posts)
Blushingm Sat 13-Aug-16 00:40:47

Hi

Ds is 14 almost 15. I'm a student nurse and I'm sometimes expected to work nights.

I've recently separated and ds wants to stay home when I work nights rather than stay at grand parents (they don't get on, ds doesn't like being there and says his mates are left overnight)

Could I have people's opinions? I'm leaning to allowing it as I did it at his age. He also says if dd (aged 10) doesn't want to go to gps then he's responsible enough for them both to be home. I'm really torn

SoleBizzz Sat 13-Aug-16 00:49:22

Depends upon his level of maturity. Only you can say. I was left when i waa fidteen for a whole week at home with my thirteen n year old Sister whilst my parents went on holiday to Spain for one week.

SoleBizzz Sat 13-Aug-16 00:49:44

Worked out well.

Just5minswithDacre Sat 13-Aug-16 00:56:05

I wouldn't, TBH.

DramaAlpaca Sat 13-Aug-16 01:04:06

I'd definitely say no to the two of them staying on their own, and would absolutely insist on the 10 year old going to the gps.

However, if I thought the almost 15 year old was responsible I might let him try a couple of nights to see how he coped. There would, of course, be rules - the main one being no friends round. It would be a good test of how responsible he is, and give him a taste of independence too.

Blushingm Sat 13-Aug-16 01:04:35

Thanks both

He's very independent and would probably spend the evening on his Xbox after munching his way through my cupboards

Id be home by 8/9 in the morning

panegyricS1 Sun 14-Aug-16 15:36:22

I'd let him, with provisos about visitors etc, but I would continue to take DD to grandparents for another year. I'm assuming that you're easily contactable at work, too.

GRW Mon 15-Aug-16 22:10:39

I left my 15 year old DD whilst I worked night shifts, and she felt comfortable with it. I would still be inclined to leave the younger one with grandparents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now