Talk

Advanced search

Challenges to get 16yo's out of the house

(41 Posts)
Timetogetup0630 Fri 22-Jul-16 06:15:16

Three of us are single Mums with 16 year old sons who go to school together. They all sit and play a complicated online game with each other all day, every day. They do not have holiday jobs and seemingly no hobbies or interests outside the house. Even Pokemon Go has only encouraged them to leave the house once since it was launched.
We are worried about their gaming obsession, lack of social skills development and lack of exercise and fresh air.
We are going to get them together and issue them with some challenges to get them out of the house and doing something. My challenge is to tell them to go to the nearest big city on public transport, take a photograph of themselves on a very famous landmark and get themselves back home.

Any more suggestions for getting stroppy teens out of the house ?

hesterton Fri 22-Jul-16 06:20:41

Plan, shop and cook a meal for the family on a camping stove in the woods

Create a herb garden at one of your houses.

Any elderly neighbours? If so, could you explain the situation and ask them to provide a job or two?

Ditto neighbours with little dc.

Walk dogs at local dogs home.

Do food budgeting for a week.

Learn an instrument

SoupDragon Fri 22-Jul-16 06:22:01

Change the wifi password.

Tell them you've written it down and hidden it (long cryptic description of a place they should be able to work out).

Do this every day.

fitzbilly Fri 22-Jul-16 06:26:22

I love that idea soupy!

NoahVale Fri 22-Jul-16 06:29:31

how aobut pokemon go?

failing that, fruit picking?

NoahVale Fri 22-Jul-16 06:30:10

oh sorry that failed.

do they have bikes?

SnugglySnerd Fri 22-Jul-16 06:30:40

Have a clear out and donate some items to a charity shop.

NoahVale Fri 22-Jul-16 06:31:02

get them to count/measure their steps, outside with a pedometer or something similar

SoupDragon Fri 22-Jul-16 06:31:41

Thankfully, my teens have embraced Pokemon Go so I haven't had to mess with the wifi. Yet.

OhTheRoses Fri 22-Jul-16 06:36:28

Block the internet gateway on their computers.
Book them on the teenage activity holiday thing
Drive them 20 miles away at 9am, give them a tenner each and challenge them to get home as cheaply as possible
Sports club: Tennis, squash, etc

Failing that, don't worry the computers will be replaced with snogging and you will look back fondly at this summer grin

Sparklingbrook Fri 22-Jul-16 06:47:33

Is there a none of them have jobs? My 17 old was v reluctant but he got one last year to fill the long holiday after GCSEs and once the money started coming in he was much more keen. grin

Sparklingbrook Fri 22-Jul-16 06:48:22

*reason

KittyLaRoux Fri 22-Jul-16 06:52:53

I agree change the wifi password and for each activity they do in the day they receive a portion of the password.

JennyOnAPlate Fri 22-Jul-16 06:57:29

Can you club together to buy them a basic tent and camping equipment? Definitely no wifi wild camping in the woods!

Timetogetup0630 Fri 22-Jul-16 07:07:58

Two of them have flatly refused to apply for any jobs. Mine is on standby for a job but they haven't called him in yet.

They all point blank refused to participate in The National Citizenship Scheme.

Yes we have lots of camping gear so that is an option.

They are all huge and awkward and not very attractive so girls would run a mile.........

KittyLaRoux Fri 22-Jul-16 07:09:42

They are all huge and awkward and not very attractive so girls would run a mile.........

Aren't all teenagers grin

NoahVale Fri 22-Jul-16 07:56:53

give them a football/tennis/frisbee

WankersHacksandThieves Fri 22-Jul-16 15:38:24

The most I've got mine to do is head up to the shop every day on their Scooters to buy some crap, eat/drink it at the park and scooter home. It seems to be staving off the rickets.

ssd Fri 22-Jul-16 15:40:37

I knew this would be about boys as soon as i saw the thread title

leave them, they'll come out on their own time

Timetogetup0630 Fri 22-Jul-16 22:10:00

Sad without a kick up the backside I can't see them coming out of the house this year....

Poppiesway Fri 22-Jul-16 22:52:23

There seems to be two different types of teenage boys..
My sons type who lives in their room "talking" to his small group of friends online almost 24/7 (same friends he's at sixth form with all year.. Same small group of Friends he's been friends with scince reception!)

And the other type who want to go out and mix with friends / get summer / weekend jobs..

Previous yes my Sian's friends have all been to each other's house to play dungeons and dragons together but now they've discovered an online version so they don't even have to meet at someone's house now.. I worry for their future.. Only once has ds1 been out Pokemon hunting. Z

Timetogetup0630 Sat 23-Jul-16 08:46:06

Yes I agree, two types of teenage boys. These boys are all very bright. Going into sixth form at a high performing Grammar School. Due to their poor social skills and lack of experience of the world outside their bedrooms the only future I can see for them is as Government code breakers and information analysts. confused

WankersHacksandThieves Sat 23-Jul-16 09:00:03

I'll add those job suggestions to the list for my DSs, so far I only had Actuary, IT code writer and general Boffin.

NapQueen Sat 23-Jul-16 09:02:13

Can't you just adopt an "if you are in the house you must be bored" rule so if they stay in they get chores

ssd Sat 23-Jul-16 10:47:13

I'm feeling all motherly and sorry for these awkward boys now grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now