Talk

Advanced search

absent menstrual cycle... Advice??

(17 Posts)
Deeplysatisfied Sat 04-Jun-16 00:00:16

My DD is 16 almost 17 and got her first period around 12. they were irregular for the first year but have been regular ever since. However she has not not had one since February. Quite worrying as it does not seem normal. She is definitely not pregnant as everyone knows that's usually the reason. We visited the GP but they said they can't do any tests until her period has been absent for over 6 months, has anyone had a problem like this and what was the reason?? I'm very worried that something could be wrong.

RedCrimson Sat 04-Jun-16 00:22:54

Is she very underweight or overweight? Both of these can stop periods.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Deeplysatisfied Sat 04-Jun-16 12:56:54

she is 5"7 and 126lb. although I am not sure about her eating as she never does eat around us always in her room. I haven't physically seen a change in weight though

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Sat 04-Jun-16 13:00:37

The fact she eats in her room and not in front of the family is a huge red flag! Bulimics often maintain weight rather than lose weight. Is she showing any symptoms of this. Regularly brushing teeth, scratched knuckles, shower running when she is in loo etc?

Is she under a lot of stress? Exams?

specialsubject Sat 04-Jun-16 13:00:55

She will only eat alone??? Big red flag, hardly normal behaviour is it!!

Not quite underweight yet.

Deeplysatisfied Sat 04-Jun-16 13:05:14

she is not under stress of exams as she dropped out of sixth form in January and hasn't been in education or work since although she has been looking for a job just not had much luck. She is due to start a law course at college in September. she does brush her teeth a lot but she is a very clean person, she also showers 2/3 times a day. It does worry me now the eating has been mentioned. Last night I was at a friend's next door and asked DD to come round as we were going to order pizza. She said no and said she will just find something st home because she can't be bothered so I said I'd come home and we would order something together. She was absolutely fine then and ordered herself a small pizza then sat in her room and ate it

ItsaTenfromDen Sat 04-Jun-16 13:12:16

I'd be searching her room. I know of someone who was doing similar and was hiding the food. Drawers, in a box inn the bottom of the wardrobe and under the bed in a storage box! Of course it could be nothing like that at all, I'd just want to check it out if it was me.

How does she feel in herself?

Deeplysatisfied Sat 04-Jun-16 13:16:44

her room is currently packed up as she is decorating it herself but when it's done I'll leave it a couple of weeks and check see if theirs any hidden food. Although I don't think there would be as like I said she's a clean teenager, she doesn't like empty cups or dishes In her room so I can't imagine shed keep food there. And I do worry about her sometimes mainly due to the fact she seems to enjoy her own company too much. I understand her friends are at school and college during week days but she still just sits in her room watching tv although I presume many teens do this. If something was wrong she probably wouldn't tell me.

lljkk Sat 04-Jun-16 13:17:27

My periods stopped for about 10 months when I was a similar height & weight (age 15). That was healthy for me & I wasn't doing anything unhealthy in my eating or other habits. I was actually very happy, iirc. I did develop an eating disorder later, tbf.

JedRambosteen Sat 04-Jun-16 13:33:46

I was at boarding school. Eating disorders were rife and quite a few girls' periods had stopped. Their parents were totally unaware, although it is easier to hide when you are living away from home. Everything you write about your daughter not eating with family, brushing her teeth and the frequent showering is familiar. You have no idea what she is or isn't eating. People with eating disorders get very adept at covering their tracks and misdirection.

Lipgloss74 Mon 06-Jun-16 06:16:08

My daughters periods stopped for no apparent reason when she was about 18, after several visits to our doctor and two scans they said there was nothing wrong with her and she was still ovulating occasionally. She's now nearly 21, doesn't have an eating disorder, seems happy enough in her personal life but still no periods or the occasional spotting. We have been told to come back to the doctors if and when she would like to try for a family. No explanation but no one seems particularly concerned.

Baconyum Mon 06-Jun-16 06:25:49

Lipgloss please don't let them fob you off 'until she wants to ttc' many Gynae disorders worsen if left untreated and that can lead to infertility, mc, stillbirth. I have endo it was left undiagnosed for 14 years and I lost 3 babies as a result before diagnosis and treatment. It also meant I almost lost dd due to the damage from it being left untreated.

Op my sister was bulimic and also v clean tidy type, one doesn't rule out the other and the avoiding eating in front of others, increased teeth brushing and showering and lack of periods all familiar.

Lipgloss74 Mon 06-Jun-16 07:29:47

As she is nearly 21 she has to go to the doctor herself but I will pass your message on to her. Thanks X

Baconyum Mon 06-Jun-16 07:45:20

You're welcome it's a bit of a soapbox having been there myself and seen too many friends go through it too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now