Talk

Advanced search

how much rent?

(9 Posts)
mumandsome Tue 24-May-16 16:45:44

How much rent would you charge 17 year old on 16k?

I will hopefully still get maintenance from her dad until next year and maybe a small amount of tax credits all equals about £500.

MrsSpecter Tue 24-May-16 16:48:41

How is a 17 year ild on 16k? shock i thought they had to be in full time education until 18?

MrsSpecter Tue 24-May-16 16:49:25

And if she isnt in full time education how can you still be entitled to child support from other parent?

VulcanWoman Tue 24-May-16 16:49:43

I think £50 a week. If I could afford it I might save it all to give when they leave home.

OurBlanche Tue 24-May-16 16:55:12

Working towards a recognised qualification not necessarily full time education - so they could easily be on a day release course and so fulfilling all legal requirements.

And 1/3 of basic earnings, overtime and bonuses they keep, is what I have always worked on. Start early, don't give them months and months to get used to keeping/spending it all. 1 or 2 months to get work clothes etc, is more than enough.

And ignore the 'put it onto a savings account' malarkey that is bound to start. If / when the other support stops you need the money, keep it and spend it. A child earning their keep, pays their keep with no expectations of it being returned. It is, after all, what is keeping them fed and watered

MrsSpecter Tue 24-May-16 17:04:09

Oh thanks blanche, i didnt realise they could be on full salaries whilst on their course. I assumed it was only those appalling apprenticeship rates of £2/hr.

Agree with blanche. 1/3 sounds right to me.

MrsSpecter Tue 24-May-16 17:05:21

Or you could look at local prices for a double/single room (depending on what your child has in your house.) and add on heating/electric/food and any laundry and cooking services.

OurBlanche Tue 24-May-16 17:16:53

A lot of people don't understand it, MrsSpecter. I only do because I taught English/maths to a lot of 16 - 19 year olds on a lot of different courses, including proper Internships and in house training schemes for some really good companies.

eightbluebirds Wed 25-May-16 21:18:56

1/3 save as much as you can for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now