Talk

Advanced search

DOE bronze clothing advice please

(17 Posts)
Lottie4 Mon 09-May-16 14:48:17

DD is doing her DOE bronze this summer. Have just bought boots to break in and will be getting a DOE hoodie so all is good there. She has things like plain cotton t-shirts, thicker cotton cargo trousers, cotton joggers long and short which I was thinking would be ideal, but she says they've been told to avoid cotton as it soaks up sweat and becomes heavy if wet. Will she failed if she turns up with cotton things? I'd prefer her to where them as I think she'll feel cooler.

MaybeLater4 Mon 09-May-16 14:56:38

Cotton is fine, for mine I just worr normal black leggings (with waterproof trousers in my bag incase it rained), 2 pairs of socks, a cotton t shirt and a hoodie (plus a vest top underneath if it's particularly cold), with my waterproof jacket in my bag. Proper walking trousers aren't really necessary, just cheap leggings and t shirt from primark or h&m, easy to carry and can be thrown away afterwards if they get damaged

MrsFionaCharming Mon 09-May-16 15:34:36

The problem with cotton is that if she sweats, the sweat will sit in the clothes and go cold - fine when she's hiking but can potentially become dangerous when stopping to rest.

I wouldn't be too concerned about cotton bottom half, but would recommend getting a top in a 'wicking' fabric - about £5 from Go Outdoors / Mountain Warehouse.

situatedknowledge Mon 09-May-16 15:36:42

DD preferred leggings to trousers for walking in. Cozy pjs a must though! Despite many warnings DD was freezing at night and ended up wearing everything. Then got too hot 🙄

Maryz Mon 09-May-16 15:41:50

You want something that dries quickly.

When dd did the Irish equivalent, she took a couple of pairs of leggings, and wore them with waterproof trousers on top. She also has a few lightweight t-shirts - in fact hers were lidle running tops, which are very light to pack and can be worn in layers.

Admittedly she did hers in the midst of winter, where being too warm wasn't a problem. Even in summer your dd could do with a warm hat for sleeping. When dd did a summer weekend she too, about the same stuff, but ended up chopping off the bottom of one of her pairs of leggings.

The most important thing is socks. And more socks, properly fitting ones. And a spare pair of socks. And some good, expensive blister plasters. As well as chocolate, obviously.

IndridCold Mon 09-May-16 15:42:50

I always preferred ordinary cotton for walking and cycling - until I tried the alternative modern fabrics. They are soooo much better, you really want something that will dry very quickly if it gets wet.

Agree the Mountain Warehouse is excellent value for money. Their zip off trousers are very useful.

LIZS Mon 09-May-16 15:53:16

Dd just did her practice. Most wore sports leggings/tracksuit bottoms or walking/cargo trousers. Layers of t shirts and hoodie/fleece ( wouldn't bother with specific d of e stuff ). Dd wore a base layer too as sleeting and chilly. Walking socks. Practice expedition is time to try things out and find what works, she won't fail.

specialsubject Mon 09-May-16 17:39:30

Fleeces not sweatshirts. Quick dry not cotton. Zip off trousers are great. And a decent waterproof.

circular Mon 09-May-16 23:02:40

It was about 4 years ago now, but remember getting walking trousers, foldaway waterproof over trousers, breathable t-shirts and walking socks very reasonably priced from Sports Direct.

whois Tue 10-May-16 13:42:59

Don't send her in cotton joggers! Think synthetic things like running kit, go for layers.

A pair of synthetic walking trousers or some normal running leggings would be much better.

Good waterproof jacket.
Waterproof trousers.

DOE hoody is a stupid idea - heavy and will take ages to dry if wet and an annoying hood getting in the way of the backpack. A zip up fleece would be better.

Get a nice dry-flow tshirt or two. Can be picked up cheap from decathlon or similar. Not vest or racer back tops - need shoulders covered really.

A decent pair of waking socks are worth investing in (don't wear anything underneath).

Thermals are good for sleeping in as they pack up small but can take warm PJs if no thermals.

The practice expedition is great for trying out clothing and equipment.

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 11-May-16 14:27:31

I have Scouts and DofE completers here but boys so no leggings smile - they wore proper walking trousers/shorts as there is no need to worry too much about waterproof trousers since they dry very quickly if it's just a light shower. Most of the girls seem to go for running tights type of thing. Any sports bottoms are good except cotton joggies. Agree a wicking type of t-shirt (running top/football shirt etc if you already have) is the best, and layered with fleeces, the thickness depending on the weather and a light shell rain/wind jacket. Plenty of thick, non cotton socks.

I'm going to say forget pyjamas - my DSs have only ever worn them when on a week long summer camp. After the walk and dinner etc, get washed and dressed into the next days clothes and sleep in those. It is important to change though, nothing to do with cleanliness as far as I remember, it's to do with the latent moisture in the worn clothes retaining the cold or something. Get up in the morning and they are good to go - a few baby wipes in a bag does for a quick pit wipe if they are fussy.

Catinthecorner Wed 11-May-16 16:44:23

Don't bother with pjs. Sleeping bags work by using your body heat to warm the air inside which keeps you toasty warm through the night once the temps drop. Ideally you sleep naked in a sleeping bag (with a hat if you want your head out) but most teens hate that idea. Next day's underwear and T will be fine.

She won't fail with the wrong clothes, but she will be carrying extra weight and less comfortable. When I was instructing (gave up in winter 2014) I took to having a pre walk bag check a week prior (after discovering kids bringing stupid things - battery operated hair tongs for example).

specialsubject Wed 11-May-16 19:37:31

Sleeping bags do need washable liners, especially if sleeping naked in them.

Girls should wear proper walking trousers too.

notsureaboutthis1992 Wed 11-May-16 19:45:49

^ why would they be sleeping naked in a sleeping bag? hmm

To sleep in, leggings, socks, t shirt, fleece, with a vest/thermal packed incase it's really cold (maybe a hat too)

LIZS Wed 11-May-16 20:05:57

Dd slept in her base layer, ds in boxers and dirty shirt

Catinthecorner Wed 11-May-16 20:58:52

I did explain. Clothing stops them using body heat to warm the air trapped in the sleeping bag. It's warmer naked. But I've only been doing this 20 years and instructing for 15. What would I know?

Anyone want to guess why I got out?

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 11-May-16 21:23:52

Ha ha Cat I can't imagine wink

Apart from anything else, Bronze is only allowed to be done in the "summer" months so it shouldn't be that cold. Although we had a recent spell of below freezing nights and youngest DS had his practice weekend then. It meant he had to carry his winter sleeping bag. For the real thing in a couple of weeks, he should be able to take a lighter bag and maybe just a small fleece blanket just in case. They've been out camping in -18 (we live in Scotland) with Scouts and lived to tell the tale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now