Tall skinny DS and ongoing trouser problems.....

(11 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sat 07-May-16 14:55:28

<sigh>

DS (16) has a 30" waist. He is currently wearing Burton Long which is a 34" leg. The longest they do and we have to get them mail order. He has been in them for the last year and i thought he may just have stopped growing.....

but no, they are becoming too short so we are now looking for a 36" leg. They do exist (Next do them) however the waist measurements do not start at 30". They don't expect those dimensions.

Also to add to the buying trauma DS1 refuses to wear anything other than 'skinny fit'.

Other than get him a pair made for ££££s has anyone got any ideas? or have this problem too He has friends as tall as he is but their waists are much bigger....

Orac Sat 07-May-16 17:29:53

Are you looking for school trousers Sparkling?
DS2 is 6'3" and ideally needs 36" length. Very rare in a 30" waist. I even went in a special tall person's shop but the smallest waist was a 32" which would be huge on him.
He recently got some Next skinny jeans which say they are 30"/34" but are actually, just, long enough. I washed them carefully praying for no shrinkage.
Also TKMax is your friend. They have weird sizes that fit DS in the clearance. He got some really nice black skinnies for £10 recently.
If it's smart black school trousers though, let me know if you find any. DS at college but needs smart trousers for his part time job and I can't find any.

JustDanceAddict Sat 07-May-16 17:34:52

Don't! My DS is 12 and a complete beanpole so I fear I have this to come.

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-May-16 17:37:13

He's in 6th form and the uniform is 'formal wear' so suit type trousers IYKWIM. I might go and have a look in TK Maxx that's one place I haven't, good suggestion.

I think Next do a 36 leg but with a big waist but i might order a pair of 34 just in case they are any longer than his Burton pairs.

PreAdvent13610 Sat 07-May-16 18:02:20

River Island does a 36 (XL) inside leg. However their website has a serious flaw, it won't let you search by leg length.
DS used to get Levis but they have stopped doing long lengths.
Used to get 28, 36 from work uniform suppliers when he was still at school.
Will read his jeans and get some more ideas.
TKMAXX just look for the ones that dangle on the floor.

Orac Sat 07-May-16 18:22:14

TKMAXX just look for the ones that dangle on the floor
Ha Ha exactly.
Also DS is a past master at getting away with half mast trousers. Black socks and black ankle boots help.
I think it's getting a skinny fit that's tricky. DS has a suit which is a bit big so the trousers hang down almost to his feet. He doesn't care what he looks like for work as it's a uniform of sorts.
Wearing badly fitted trousers when you are 16 and in sixth form is not fun, thank goodness DS's sixth form have no uniform.

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-May-16 18:29:59

The skinny fit is definitely as sticking point. No flappage is allowed. hmm

He's ok at his P/T job because he doesn't really care bit like your DS Orac. He has to wear a hideous logoed polo shirt so the trousers aren't so much of a concern. grin

I have told him he has to wear black socks and shoes until this is sorted.

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-May-16 18:31:54

I am a bit miffed with the River Island website. their size guide includes a 36" leg but no trousers seem available, and no mention of that size. But will keep checking.

grin at the TK Maxx floor sweepers.

BabyGanoush Wed 11-May-16 14:33:51

I buy TK Maxx floor sweepers too grin

How about a weekend to Amsterdam, where all men (and women) are 6ft+

MarlseeMarls Tue 07-Jun-16 11:25:39

Not sure if they offer formal trousers but all my beanpole lanky boy mates swear by topshop for their long and thin skinny jeans so that might be somewhere to look at?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Tue 07-Jun-16 23:22:42

We have a similar problem but thankfully ds won't need formal clothes for sixth form. He's 6'4"+ with a 28" waist and still growing...upwards, not outwards grin

For a while he got away when uniqlo slim fit chinos as they came in a 29" or 30" waist which while loose in him didn't drown him. However they are now halfway up his shins so I too have banned him from wearing white socks until we sort replacements

Surely someone must cater for boys like these confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now