tips for getting through the move to uni

(5 Posts)
sftm13 Wed 20-Apr-16 20:37:46

Hi, I'm new to here but hoping to find some mums going through the same thing.
My dd is off to uni in September, and I'm thrilled and excited for her, but after visiting her halls and all I came home and had a (private) meltdown.
It suddenly hit me that she's leaving home, moving 200 miles away, and I never expected to feel this way but it's totally floored me. I'm not usually an overly emotional person but it makes me well up just thinking about it.
I know it's awesome she's going and I wouldn't change it for anything, but how do I get through this without her picking up on my upset? I don't want her feeling bad in any way, and she would if she knew.
Anyone who's experienced all this, does it get better when they go?? How did you cope?

BackforGood Thu 21-Apr-16 00:17:36

I'm no help to you in that I just felt chuffed and proud when ds went to university, and didn't get upset at all grin. However, there are often threads along similar lines over in 'Higher Education', so that might be a better place to post your question than in teenagers. smile

Travelledtheworld Thu 21-Apr-16 04:24:01

I am with you sftm13.
I have a very close relationship,with my DD 17. She is such good company and I am dreading her leaving to go to college next year. I am a single parent and rely on her for all sorts of things.

However I have lots of friends and interests and will probably spend more time doing stuff outside the home. Also give more attention to DS who is a year younger , but pretty independent.

Orac Thu 21-Apr-16 12:08:20

I second the Higher Education threads. There is one called the "Empty Nest" thread that's been running for years with different posters.
Lots on the Year 13 thread will probably end up on there, maybe we need a Freshers 2016 thread.
I have one DS in his second year and I'm here now in tears after smiling and waving him off after the Easter holidays. DS2 will be going in September and I dread it.

sftm13 Thu 21-Apr-16 12:40:10

Thanks, I'll take a look at higher ed smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now