Talk

Advanced search

Summer jobs/ volunteer work over summer

(12 Posts)
mirage937 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:30:43

Dd is 18 and doing her a levels in June but over summer would like to find a summer job, volunteer role etc. She has applied for uni but is quite a shy person but really wants to try and become more confident before starting uni and do something out of her comfort zone over summer. She isn't into drinking and parting nor interested in festivals. She is much more of an active outdoors person who would prefer to be doing something. She does have a part time job at the moment in a supermarket but her contract ends in June and after working 2 years in retail she wants to give something else a try. I just thought I would ask here if anyone had any experience as such she applied for a few campsite roles in Europe but they required her to start earlier then when her exams finished and she has been put off the fact that eurocamp as she had heard from other people has a huge drinking smoking culture. She is spending most of her available time looking for jobs but with work, college and revising I thought I would help her look but usure where to start ?

Peach1886 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:36:38

YHA recruit lots of seasonal posts at this time of year - they are advertising locally (nw) now - so their website would be worth a look.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Sat 16-Apr-16 16:37:53

National Citizenship Service? My DS (16) is doing the UK version this summer but there is an overseas option for those over 18. I don't know much about it but if it's anything like NCS it should be interesting, varied and well priced.

Floralnomad Sat 16-Apr-16 16:39:58

Have a look at CHICKS , it's a charity that does holidays for disadvantaged children ( carers / been bullied etc) , they have 3 sites and you can volunteer to stay and help with the activities . My DS has been to the Dartmoor centre to do his residential part of his Dof E gold award and he had a lovely week .

mirage937 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:54:06

Thanks for all suggestions I will show them to dd when she comes home from work tonight

goinggetstough Sat 16-Apr-16 17:31:02

I second CHICKS. My DS has volunteered there twice and had a great time.

mirage937 Sat 16-Apr-16 18:05:02

Just looked into CHICKS and looks great opportunity but being 18 dd would only be able to do ks2 and dates are limited only at Cornwall/ North Devon and with me and dh out of country may be difficult for dd to get there as we are from north but if not this year definitely something she can apply for after summer

Floralnomad Sat 16-Apr-16 19:15:21

They can pick up / drop off at Exeter station if she is interested .

NotSoYumMum01 Mon 18-Apr-16 16:18:44

What about volunteering at local stables. My dd is 14 and extremely shy and axious but loves horses.she does this in exchange for rides but there are loads of people 16+ who help out and get paid instead of rides x dd also enjoys volunteering in the local nursing home,they pay over 16s to do this x good luck

Leeds2 Mon 18-Apr-16 17:58:30

National Trust usually have loads of volunteering opportunities over the summer. Think they can be for one of two days, or one or two weeks, depending on the project. Not paid though.

Stillunexpected Mon 18-Apr-16 19:37:09

She could also check our National Trust working holidays, loads of different opportunities and a great mix of ages and people there.

specialsubject Tue 19-Apr-16 16:09:56

I'd also suggest the National Trust - either volunteering at a property or one of those working holidays. Good CV points and not a 'gosh-isn't-it-clever-to-get-really-drunk' environment, i.e. people who are interesting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now