Talk

Advanced search

Summer after Alevels

(6 Posts)
Claybury Fri 18-Mar-16 08:54:54

If DS goes to uni ( debatable due to his lack of commitment to revision) by my estimations he will have almost 15 weeks from his last exam in June to starting freshers week.
He proposes to do nothing in this time expect for a long weekend away with mates. He says he needs to time to relax after A'levels. This will mean getting up very late, and being out at mates' houses until the early hours, probably gaming, smoking and drinking.
We do not get on very well and I do not relish having him dossing around the house all that time. He doesn't want to get a job ( I give him a small allowance and he tops it up with some babysitting ) and has no urge to travel.
What do other 18 year olds do in this time?

LadyPeterWimsey Fri 18-Mar-16 09:38:37

DS is going away with friends (paid for by himself), then joining us on a family holiday, then he gets a week or so at home (when he has to start applying for a gap year job) then he is going away on a summer camp for a week, then home to help at a kids holiday club run by our church, then he needs to start a job, which will hopefully fit in with his current term time job which is paying for all the travelling he's doing! He'll probably get about three weeks at home from the end of June to the beginning of September.

LadyPeterWimsey Fri 18-Mar-16 09:40:38

He does get a small allowance but I think that will stop in September and he will have to pay us a little bit of money for board. I'm a total softy and wouldn't charge him anything but DH (who knows the perilous state of our finances is keen he pays his way, even if it is just a token amount.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 18-Mar-16 09:44:22

My Ds is going away for a week abroad with friends (first time), and we have a family holiday booked. He wants to do an intensive driving lesson course. And gaming with mates on line.

That's about it.

We do get on well though, quite close, and I'll miss him when he goes in September, so looking forward to this summer.

Cocolepew Fri 18-Mar-16 09:47:59

Ive told DD to look for a part time job, I know she doesn't want too though! Shes a shy, anxious girl but she has done some volunteering so I think she could cope.
Shes hoping to do a bit more volunteering, for the National Trust, as well.
Apart from that she would be in the house or out with friends shopping. She doesn't go out at night unless to something like the cinema or gigs.

JaneyJaney66 Sat 19-Mar-16 08:08:59

What did he do during the long summer after GCSEs? I have one in year 13 and two in year 12 so they've all done the long post year 11 summer (about 13 weeks I think) and Dd1 will have the long summer off again this year. Seemed to pass by quickly, part time jobs, lots of hanging out with friends, all went on various holidays. This summer DD1 is going traveling so won't be here for long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now