Talk

Advanced search

How can my 14yo DD prove age to attend concert?

(20 Posts)
bumblebeader Sun 06-Mar-16 10:59:48

My DD and her 3 friends (all 14) are attending The 1975s concert at 02 Manchester Apollo next week. They have seated tickets and meet the age restrictions, but I am concerned how they can prove they are 14 if questioned. They obviously do not want my husband or I to wait with them in the queue til they get in. We were not planning on hanging about nearby while they are at the concert because there is absolutely no where to hang out. I'm thinking as a last resort we will have to pay £10 to park and wait for a text to say they've been let in.

So as not to drip feed, my dd and these same friends tried to buy tickets to an age 15 film and were not allowed in because my dd did not look old enough. Another story for another time.

Thanks for any advice!

bebumba Sun 06-Mar-16 11:03:55

Ds used to take a photocopy of his passport.

Pinkheart5915 Sun 06-Mar-16 11:04:03

Has the 02 website got an information bit that explains about proving age?

Failing that could she take her birth certificate?

Or would they let you wait in a car near by until they've gone in?

My sister always had the same problem of looking younger

bumblebeader Sun 06-Mar-16 11:17:17

No, the 02 website has no information unfortunately. The phone number they list goes straight to Ticketmaster, who just redirects you to their website. I feel like I'm stuck in a loop!

I think the photocopy of the passport is a good idea.

Thank you everyone!

DesertOrDessert Sun 06-Mar-16 11:17:31

Have you got time to get something like this

TurnOffTheTv Sun 06-Mar-16 11:18:05

Birth certificate or passport.

bumblebeader Sun 06-Mar-16 11:19:52

Actually I did look into that Desert but then further investigation showed that it's not accepted everywhere. sad

Underdogsbollocks Sun 06-Mar-16 11:23:29

My DD has been to the Apollo regularly since she turned 14 and takes a photocopy of her passport, she's only been asked for it once though and doesn't look particularly old.

CrystalGlitz Sun 06-Mar-16 11:49:45

Don't take actual passport. Take a photocopy and get DD to carry a photo of the original on her phone too. Also useful for cinema entry etc once she reaches 15.

milkbottle Sun 06-Mar-16 22:49:48

Passport or photocopy of passport. But they probably won't even ask her.

Jinglebells99 Sun 06-Mar-16 22:53:31

I sent my dd with a photo copy of her passport and her just expired e111 card as that has dob. She wasn't asked for id though. That was a concert in Birmingham.

bonzo77 Sun 06-Mar-16 22:58:09

Citizen card. If you get the form from waitrose it's a bit cheaper.

OldandHorny Mon 07-Mar-16 08:36:37

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Mon 07-Mar-16 08:45:18

Sorry old and horny are you calling the OP a moron?!

She's asking what ID is accepted at the Apollo if you had nothing useful to say why did you reply!

Many 14 year olds don't have Id! They certainly don't have driving licences and things like validate aren't taken every where!

The OP has spent money on the tickets and her daughter will be excited so doesn't really want her turned away!

Especially when as pointed out there's really no where to hang around about the venue so her daughter could be stranded for hours!

AnneElliott Mon 07-Mar-16 08:58:28

You can get a citizen card if you've got enough time. Otherwise photocopy of passport is a good suggestion.

Whathaveilost Tue 08-Mar-16 08:35:03

There's no need to pay £10 for parking! I've been going to the Applo for nearly 40 years and never paid for a parking space! The photocopy of a passport is a good idea and then go and wait a short while in Aspley Cottage pub. It's usually heaving before a gig and then empties really quickly often leaving middle aged parents there having a quiet drink waiting for their teenagers to text them to say come nd get me.

DS and his gf are at that gig. They've seen then a few times and say they are great live.

bumblebeader Tue 08-Mar-16 18:48:38

Whathaveilost - I didn't know about that pub so that is a great idea. We've always paid for parking because it's next to the venue and we don't know the area. Will have a nosey around for a free space.

Thanks for sticking up for me Naught. No idea what old horny's post said as it was deleted before I saw it, but gauging from your response sounds like it's name should be old and twatty. wink

rainbowunicorn Tue 08-Mar-16 23:16:45

Not much help to you OP but in Scotland we have a card for kids called the Young Scot, they get it when they start secondary school. It has their picture, date of birth etc very similar to the ones someone linked to up the thread a bit. It can be used as proof of age and in our local schools be used for cashless catering, bus pass etc. Also gets them discounts at loads of high street stores, eating places etc.
I assumed that the whole of the UK had a similar thing.

JustDanceAddict Wed 09-Mar-16 16:39:48

In London it would be their Oyster Zip card (travelpass). Anything exist like that in Manchester?

IncandescentRain Wed 09-Mar-16 20:48:46

Photocopy of passport will be the best option. Hope they have fun! The 1975 are brilliant live and Matty's dad, Tim, usually sits in the seating area and takes photos with fans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now