Talk

Advanced search

what is your 14 year old son reading?

(18 Posts)
Sparkygal Sun 21-Feb-16 22:30:02

Just that. My ds's birthday is coming up and I usually include a book in his presents to open but not sure which are good books this year.

He has read hunger games, maze runner books, assassins creed and anime type books. Was thinking maybe Stephen King (I used to read them when u was young).

Any other titles you could recommend? A bit spooky/thriller ish maybe, or just a good read.

Thanks smile

Scatter Mon 22-Feb-16 11:28:15

My sons are avid readers and it's so hard to find books while they're in the in between stage, not quite ready for adult literature or Victorian style literature!

The Ranger's Apprentice series is good but might be a bit too young for your son now - The Brotherband series, by the same author (John Flanagan) are good. The Cherub series and Rock War series (both by Robert Muchamore) are good if you don't mind references to drugs.

My 15 year old is now reading Lee Child books (the Jack Reachers) and he also enjoyed the Andy McNab Boy Soldier books a couple of years ago. He's also read some Gordon Stevens (Kara's Game).

A fantastic set out now are the Ben Macintyre books - Agent Zigzag, Operation Mincemeat, Double Cross etc - they are true spy stories from the second world war. My son's English teacher recommended them for quality reading.

Good luck finding something for him.

pasanda Mon 22-Feb-16 11:36:44

His phone!!

(sorry, no help whatsoever!! )

Scatter Mon 22-Feb-16 12:17:20

Also maybe The Martian? My son read that after seeing the movie and enjoyed it.

tumpymummy Tue 23-Feb-16 14:24:16

It's hard isn't it to find something to lure them away from their phones! DS has been reading The Secret Footballer as football is the one thing that gets him off his phone. He has also just read 'Mice and Men' but that was because he had to read it for school. Someone suggested more biographies and autobiographies for teenage boys. DH has suggested 'Fever Pitch' by Nick Hornby to him but seems to be just lying around his bedroom unread.

penelopewellingdon Wed 24-Feb-16 11:46:56

Animal Farm
Fahrenheit 451
The Humans
Catcher in the Rye

Travelledtheworld Wed 24-Feb-16 12:37:22

My son has read the entire Series of Simon scarrow books about Roman soldiers fighting all over Europe. The Eagle serie. They are adult books, but relatively easy to read.

He also read the entire Game of Thrones series at 14. A bit faces I dint think he really understood....

Northernsoul58 Wed 24-Feb-16 13:32:44

It's a bit off the mark perhaps but my DS has read PJ Wodehouse - Jeeves and Wooster books - as well as the James Herriot vet series. He found them both hilarious. How about Agatha Christie? There's no need to go all Lit Crit to find long established, tried and tested popular fiction. Oh and the John Wyndham series of weird stories was tolerated if not raved over.

Northernsoul58 Wed 24-Feb-16 13:39:56

How about the Adrian Mole books. They are very silly, but they seem to tap into the silly teen psyche perfectly...

Travelledtheworld Wed 24-Feb-16 14:02:01

Sorry that should read " a bit racey"

BertrandRussell Wed 24-Feb-16 14:04:07

Patrick Ness.

NerrSnerr Wed 24-Feb-16 14:06:09

Under the Dome is a very good recent Stephen King. There is also Mr Mercedes which is the first of a three book series.

OneMagnumisneverenough Wed 24-Feb-16 14:09:47

I have 15 and 14 year olds. Hmm loads of stuff, some already mentioned, I have one that likes more non fiction. He is reading Agent Zig-zag and The Long Journey.

There's the Chaos Walking series
The Enemy Series by Charlie Higson
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
Anything by Darren Shan
Some of Dean Koontz

CastleDolorous Wed 24-Feb-16 15:51:05

When my DS was around that age he enjoyed reading Stephen King, I think they would be good as you've read them yourself and can judge which you think would be appropriate, just not It to start with shock

CPtart Wed 24-Feb-16 16:54:52

DS is 13 but into reading autobiographies. Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond currently on the go. David Walliams next.

PitilessYank Wed 24-Feb-16 17:13:54

It sounds like he has read some manga-my sons loved the Death Note series, it is difficult to explain but very interesting, also, we all loved the Black Jack books by Osamu Tezuka.

Oh, and what about the Tintin series by Hergé?

WoodleyPixie Wed 24-Feb-16 17:16:41

Ds was 14 at the end of January and has just read the Martian after watching the film.

He also liked the Simon scarrow Roman books. He is reading lone survivor at the moment. Which I think is also a film. He likes armed forces type books and mainly adult books rather than teen fiction now.

WoodleyPixie Wed 24-Feb-16 17:18:00

Oh yes he also received George Orwells 1984 and animal farm for his birthday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now