Talk

Advanced search

periods and holidays.....

(10 Posts)
slinx Tue 26-Dec-06 22:42:52

don't mix when you are an adult never mind a 13 year old girl!

We are due to go on holiday in 2 months and I am really worried my dd will have her period while we are away. She started about a year ago but is still irregular so I have no idea when it will happen.

She doesn't want to try tampax but I think it will ruin her holiday if she can't swim.

Not sure what advice I want (!), just wondered if anyone has been in the same situation?

xenabelly Tue 26-Dec-06 22:52:43

I remember going on holiday when I was about 12/13 and had been having periods for just under a year.

I was determined that I didn't want to use tampons so just wouldn't go swimming. When we got there (went with another family), I was gutted when all the other kids jumped straight in pool and I just sat on lounger all day in shorts and everyone was saying 'why are you not swimming?' - was v embarassed aswell as think it was quite obvious why I wasn't.

Fortunately, my mum packed me some 'mini tampons' (just in case) and i inserted my first tampon in a toilet next to the pool - it hurt and was v uncomfortable BUT I did get to go swimming and by the 3rd tampon change I was a total convert to tampons and periods were a whole lot less bother!

I would try and persuade your daughter to have a go with mini's before you go, explaining that they are just so much more reliable and easier - they are really tiny and have applicators.

Also, if she still doesn't want to use them (is upto her in the end) - take a box of minis with you and tell her you've got them if she wants them. Think that's all you can do as a good mum to support her but not hassle her.

winterpimms Wed 27-Dec-06 12:16:34

I'm afraid i have had the same problem. Dd wanted to take the pill so would 'miss' her period {i didn't take her to gp}

Luckily, so far it has been a couple of days at the beginning of 2 week holiday. If it had started at the beginning of a weeks holiday, it would be a disaster. It is torture for a teenager not to be able to go swimming when it is hot!

Dd also has not tried tampons, but i do also have a mini pack on standby

slinx Wed 27-Dec-06 22:06:13

Thanks both of you.

I honestly don't think she has thought that it may happen yet but I will have a chat with her about trying tampons before we go and also take some with me.

She is still quite immature in some ways and will be gutted if she can't play in the pool!

amphion Thu 28-Dec-06 22:15:58

If pool is close to your room she could use a pantyliner which shouldn't show, as (like when you're in the bath) there should be no problem when actually in the water.

jmj944 Tue 16-Sep-08 15:13:58

My daughter managed to use a slim towel with her bikini without it being too obvious & went in sea every day (obviously this might be difficult if you suffer heavy periods). Another solution is too wear surf shorts over bikini bottom.

Milliways Tue 16-Sep-08 16:29:31

It was holidys that got my DD onto Tampons.

This year though (age 17) she went to GP's to get a weeks course of tablets to stop her period as she was doing her Duke of Edinburgh Gold Wilderness hike (ie NO loos!)

kama Tue 16-Sep-08 17:29:05

Message withdrawn

TheHedgeWitch Wed 17-Sep-08 16:48:49

Message withdrawn

ajandjjmum Wed 17-Sep-08 16:54:57

My dd (15) would not think about tampons, until suddenly a couple of months ago she phoned from the supermarket to ask what sort she should get! I think maybe it's something they come round to in their own time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now