Talk

Advanced search

My son has a girlfriend !!!!!

(15 Posts)
65roses Fri 22-Jan-16 12:44:26

My 16, nearly 17 year old son is dating a 14, nearly 15 year old girl
I'm worried about age difference and the fact her dad is in prison for drugs offences
This is far from our way of life. But worried if I tell him she is not from similar background that will make him want to be with her more
Help. Not sure what to do

Wineandchocolateneededasap Fri 22-Jan-16 16:20:56

You sound like a terrible snob. What does it matter if she's not from a similar background/class? Her dad has done wrong not her.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 22-Jan-16 16:32:32

It probably won't last long at this age. Have the chat with him though, about the fact she is underage.

OldBeanbagz Fri 22-Jan-16 16:41:31

Why are you judging the girl by her father's deeds? Lots of good kids come from troubled homes. Please don't expect her to follow in his footsteps.

I'd just have a sensible chat with your DS about the age difference if i were you. He needs to be careful in that respect.

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 22-Jan-16 16:43:06

Trust me, it is unlikely to last long.

<stares hard at DD>

passmethewineplease Fri 22-Jan-16 16:43:06

Stop being so judgemental. Her dad commuted an offence, don't take it on the poor girl.

bloodyteenagers Fri 22-Jan-16 16:48:23

What does her dad have to do with anything?

Northumberlandlass Fri 22-Jan-16 16:50:55

you sound lovely hmm

RudeElf Fri 22-Jan-16 16:54:45

What you do is say, "ahh, she sounds nice, you must bring her round some time" and when/if he does you be as polite as you would be to any other guest. Then you let them get on with their business which will most likely fizzle out in a few months or less. Unless you let him know you have an issue with it, which is a red rag to a bull wink

GasLIghtShining Sat 23-Jan-16 01:27:17

Can be in prison on drug offences and be from any background. It's not her fault so please don't hold it against her unless he turns up smoking a joint. I speak from experience as my DS's friend's dad was in prison - it wasn't the son's fault.

I would however be more concerned about the legalities regarding sexual matters

Pantone363 Sat 23-Jan-16 01:28:24

Hahaha <files nails>

rogueantimatter Sat 23-Jan-16 14:33:32

I agree with RudeElf. Don't let your DS know that you're ruffled by this. It really is very unlikely to last long as other posters have said.

Clare1971 Sat 23-Jan-16 20:59:11

Well if preferring my kids don't mix with families where there are people in prison for drug offences makes me a snob then I'm a snob too. Yes, I know it's the father and not the girl and no I wouldn't say anything to son but honestly, in your heart of hearts, wouldn't you prefer your children to have partners whose parent's aren't criminals? No? Well you're all better people than me and the OP then and I take my hat off to you. I wouldn't worry though OP, at this age it's not likely to be for ever anyway and if it turns out that it is, then you have to trust your son to pick the right person for him. I get your worries though. although I sometimes think it's other people's children who might need protecting from mine rather than vice versa!

18yoMum Tue 26-Jan-16 18:45:54

For the love of god, don't let them do anything until they're a bit older!

Its unlikely relationships last that long, especially with such a large age gap at such a young age. When I was younger, the only thing that kept me with my boyfriend was the baby on the way!

Elfishpresley Wed 27-Jan-16 16:12:55

I actually feel sorry for the girlfriend here as you are being a snob. An ex's mum once told me that she didn't want me being with her son as we were from different backgrounds because my parents divorced when I was six.

Like other posters have said, it will probably fizzle out but don't judge the girl on her dads actions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now