Advanced search

Residential intervention for teen in crisis?

(19 Posts)
JP2014 Sun 17-Jan-16 19:12:56

Does anyone know of a residential intervention centre for a teen who needs help with anger, drug use , suicidal feelings and now possibly at risk of knife violence from a local gang. Police, social services won't help. Have a CAMs referral but not for a couple of months and I really feel he needs urgent intervention. He is willing to go to a residential centre if I can find somewhere suitable. I am desperate any ideas welcome.

Runningtokeepstill Sun 17-Jan-16 19:57:29

I'm really sorry, I have no experience but I wouldn't hang around for CAMHS. Are there any charities supporting young people in the area who might have contacts?

JP2014 Sun 17-Jan-16 20:24:40

Thanks for your message I am looking for local help but I think I need to get him away from where we live.

Ledkr Sun 17-Jan-16 20:50:20

There are private fostering agencies and resi homes but I've no idea how youd go about it.
How old is he?

JP2014 Sun 17-Jan-16 21:40:30

He's 16

SealSong Sun 17-Jan-16 22:05:17

You'd have to pay for this kind of intervention you have funds? This kind of thing is very expensive.
Have a look at Community Care website for providers of residential therapeutic units, but be aware he will be in with other young people who may have far worse problems and behaviours than him. It is unusual for families themselves to seek this kind of thing and you may have to hunt hard to find an appropriate place.

SealSong Sun 17-Jan-16 22:06:47

Is there any extended family he could go and stay with away from the gang issues, as a temporary thing? Might help.

Ledkr Sun 17-Jan-16 22:07:29

That's why SS aren't interested then.
Are you prepared/able to pay?
I'm thinking of the priory or similar.
If u refused to have him and he presented as homeless then he would be housed under the Southwark ruling but only in accommodation where he'd be more vulnerable.
If his mental health is really bad you could try a and e they may get him assessed by the psychs.
I can't help much with such little details but I will try.

Ledkr Sun 17-Jan-16 22:11:17

Can u pay to see camhs privately for an initial consultation?
What does he want to do?
How about the YMCA in another town?

Toocold Sun 17-Jan-16 22:14:30

You could try BenjaminUk , it's, there is one near where I live, I hope they can help you, I think there are four in the country.

TheSecondOfHerName Sun 17-Jan-16 22:15:15

There may be a crisis team where you live.

Toocold Sun 17-Jan-16 22:15:31

I think you might need to google it, that link takes you to available domain names?! Sorry.

MayhemandMadness Sun 17-Jan-16 22:20:50

My DS attends a residential FE college, he was bullied at school and wanted to get away from the area. We have to pay for his accomodation and its taken a little while but he is doing great on his course and making good friends and a part time job in the college kitchens. He is coming to terms with who he is and the safeguarding team is brill. We also paid for some private counselling.

You might have to wait till September as accomodation seems to be popular. Its a land based / agriculture college but they do lots of other courses - engineering, food, sports, animals, fishing etc.

Would this type of thing be any good?

SealSong Sun 17-Jan-16 22:26:11

CAMHS doesn't offer private work as it's part of the NHS. You get the occasional Child Psychiatrist who does private work but you'd have to find them yourself, CAMHS would not be able to refer you on.

SealSong Sun 17-Jan-16 22:28:47

Does the referral already made to CAMHS mention the suicidal feelings? If not you could give them a ring, ask to speak to a duty practitioner and describe the suicidal feelings, that might speed things up if there is risk there.

TwuntingCrow Sun 17-Jan-16 22:43:14

Hey - I have firsthand experience of this .. Message me - Have you tried the ymca ? I volunteer at a hostel for lads .. Whereabouts are you ...? If I can help if be happy to

JP2014 Sun 17-Jan-16 23:04:18

Thank you for this the FE college sounds great could I have the name of it please

JP2014 Mon 18-Jan-16 00:26:57

Thank you yes I will ring them in the morning

suedesandals Mon 18-Jan-16 01:51:45

DD goes to a residential school for social, emotional and behavioural disorders which is funded by our local council (it's a private school with high fees but councils pay the fees through a EHCP). We don't pay towards any of the fees. She's had years of intervention from CAMHS to get to that point though. Similar schools are listed on (use advanced search and select SEBD). For post 16 you can also look at

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now