Supporting son through his first relationship breakdown

(5 Posts)
Kez100 Fri 01-Jan-16 21:38:03

He's been seeing a girl for about a month. It's been jolly intense and as they live a long way away from each other, it seems to have added to the intensity. When he visits her he has to walk five miles from the bus to her house and then back! Which he has done twice. I've met her and she is absolutely delightful.

Anyway, today he is extremely down. I've been around and he's not said anything but he is completely out of sorts. I'm suspecting the worst and need to know how much to support him through this. Do I ask him anything? Or wait for him to tell me?

My first love lasted 4 years but I still remember the intensity to this day so like all of us I completely understand that it isn't to be undermined.

Clare1971 Fri 01-Jan-16 22:28:38

How old is he?

Kez100 Fri 01-Jan-16 22:34:54

He's 17.

He's just been and told me in a roundabout way. I asked him how he was and did he want to talk but he said, no, that's he's ok. In a very sad tone.

tumpymummy Sun 03-Jan-16 11:50:38

That's hard. I guess all you can do is be nice to him. If he has said he doesn't want to talk then you can't make him. I think my DS would be the same. I'd just cut him some slack and not hassle him about anything, cook him a meal he likes. He'll get over it (life lesson!) especially as they are back to school soon.

Kez100 Sun 03-Jan-16 14:07:18

Thanks.

He is moping around but eating, sleeping albeit teenage strange hours and he is talking in brief sentences about general stuff. Going back to college and getting back to normal routine will be good for him.

He's had an intense holiday! Hopefully he will look back on it fondly one day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now