Talk

Advanced search

14yo distraught,not sleeping

(4 Posts)
VintageDresses Mon 21-Dec-15 20:28:21

Because someone posted a Star Wars spoiler on FB. He's really upset and angry about it - was looking forward to going next week and now says he doesn't want to go.

I'm sure it sounds like standard teenage melodramatics but we never get this from him. He's usually so laid back I think he should stress more! All adversity usually washes over him without any drama at all, nothing keeps him awake once his head hits the pillow, but he's been up crying and shouting over this 2 nights running.I can't remember the last time I saw him cry or shout.

I have no idea if the "Spoiler" is even real and am at a loss over how to handle this. Can it be "just" about Star Wars or must there be something else going on? And if so, how do I get him to tell me?

BonitaFangita Mon 21-Dec-15 22:03:32

Oh Vintage, I don't know what to say. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone here. He was obviously really looking forward to it. Who told him, maybe it's the person who posted who upset him?
This is a weird time of year, the end of a long and tiring first term at school and Christmas can be difficult at this age, the magic is gone and they're not quite old enough for the older teenage partying. That can affect their mood too. make them feel more sensitive / stressed that usual.

I hope he really enjoys the film

Meow75 Mon 21-Dec-15 22:07:55

My almost 40 year old husband had a similar although slightly less extreme reaction when he heard Simon Mayo mention SW the other day.

Not sure there's anything you can do. I was at least able to tell my husband that although I want to see the movie, I am also not bothered about hearing snippets.

Not going to see it is just cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Fine, if you think the 2 hours or whatever has been totally ruined, don't go but it's your loss.

Peebles1 Tue 22-Dec-15 22:54:56

I've just got back from seeing the film with DH and 3 DCs. I'm not a massive fan but remember going to see the original when 10 years old and thoroughly enjoyed it tonight. A big event does happen and we all agreed we'd have been really fed up if we'd known about it. However, my DH said he'd been told another credible spoiler that turned out to be untrue. I remember being furious when someone told me a spoiler about the last Harry Potter book, that turned out not to be true. So I would give him lots of sympathy, it really is annoying. Tell him it might not be true (as proved by our experiences), and also reassure him that this is a great film, well worth seeing with plenty of new stuff to entertain. Hope he goes and loves it as much as we did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now