Talk

Advanced search

Did I just make a huge mistake?

(17 Posts)
lincolnshirelassy Fri 18-Dec-15 15:54:56

Dd is 15. Since the summer she has gone to parties where there has been drink and openly admits she has had a drink or two but has never appeared drunk when she's come home. I've always said no to her taking alcohol herself but friends will share it. Today she is going to a small Christmas get together- just 4 of them, at a friend's house, the mum, who I know well, will be there and I trust her, plus I know and trust the friends, so I agreed to her taking a couple of alcopops, 4% and about 2 units a bottle. She'll be picked up by us and they'll be at the friend's house the whole night. Did I get this wrong though, I'm not sure I did the right thing now!

Twitterqueen Fri 18-Dec-15 15:57:10

No mistake. She will be fine. It's going to happen some time you know.

Sparklingbrook Fri 18-Dec-15 15:58:37

Sounds fine to me. No mistake.

lincolnshirelassy Fri 18-Dec-15 16:08:23

Thanks, guess I just worry about looking like her enabler!!

lincolnshirelassy Sat 19-Dec-15 09:49:16

She was fine, home at 11, not drunk, up bright and early this morning, phew!

gamerchick Sat 19-Dec-15 09:50:28

Sounds like she's sensible with alcohol.

gamerchick Sat 19-Dec-15 09:51:33

Many of us adults could probably take a leaf out of her book tbh grin

GloriaHotcakes Sat 19-Dec-15 09:51:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lincolnshirelassy Sun 20-Dec-15 15:34:17

She's definitely more sensible than me grin

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Dec-15 16:01:14

DS1 is 16 and very sensible. Way more than I ever was. I was out clubbing drinking and dancing on tables from 15 onwards. blush

lincolnshirelassy Sun 20-Dec-15 18:08:12

Sparkling I was the same. And my parents didn't have a clue how bad I was! So I suppose the fact that she tells me what she's up to (though I'm not daft enough to think she tells me everything!!) and seems to exercise self restraint is a good start!

Sparklingbrook Sun 20-Dec-15 18:11:41

Yes it's weird to think I have produced a teen that was more sensible than I was.
Ds2 is only 13 though so need to see how that goes. grin

VimFuego101 Sun 20-Dec-15 18:18:18

I would take a similar approach myself. My parents were reasonably relaxed about me drinking and I never really overdid it. On the other hand, friends who were completely banned from drinking were the ones necking shots and passing out in bushes.

ToddlerTantrums Sun 20-Dec-15 18:20:54

I think it's a good plan. Mine are only little but it's what I plan on doing when they're teens.
My parents wouldn't let me drink. Needless to say I 'stayed at my friends' a lot and got into some silly situations.

Snowglobe1 Sun 20-Dec-15 18:26:38

I think you took a great approach, and I'm glad it turned out well x

TheFairyCaravan Sun 20-Dec-15 18:28:42

We did a similar thing. Our two (21&18) are sensible drinkers now. Their mates who weren't allowed the odd beer or glass of wine were the ones drunk out their heads and puking by 9 o'clock.

Xenasmummy Tue 29-Dec-15 02:59:58

Yeah I think you did the right thing, at Christmas I let my.kids have a drink.k with dinner #wine, beer or Bailey's. I think when you make it a big deal it becomes.exciting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now