Talk

Advanced search

Sleepover with a boy?

(18 Posts)
HopefullyImTheCoolMum Fri 11-Dec-15 22:03:10

OK, so my DD (12) wants to have a sleepover with a boy that I know very well and I know their parents. He's very sweet and she seems to be really good with him! He is very lovely to her, and she wants it at ours. I'm fine with sleepovers at ours as she usually keeps it to herself but this will be her first mixed sleepover!
I'm not sure. Should they sleep in separate rooms/ invite a friend each?

QforCucumber Fri 11-Dec-15 22:08:31

Campout in the lounge feasible? Rather than a bedroom share, may ease your worries if only a little.

SleepForTheWeak Fri 11-Dec-15 22:25:16

My best friend at that age was a boy.

I'll tell you now - 12 year olds aren't as innocent as you would like to believe.

BrianButterfield Fri 11-Dec-15 22:29:48

I'd say no, actually. Mixed sleepovers = recipe for disaster in all sorts of ways. My current year 7s are causing all types of grief amongst themselves about who fancies who, and while for the vast majority, probably even all of them, it's quite innocent in a way, a sleepover would just be an opportunity for this silliness to be amplified and go on even more.

specialsubject Sat 12-Dec-15 15:09:49

separate rooms, or if you don't have a spare room she is in hers and he is on the sofa.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 13-Dec-15 12:58:57

Dd does but only with one friend and he's gay

Hulababy Sun 13-Dec-15 13:01:34

Separate rooms

HSMMaCM Sun 13-Dec-15 13:07:19

DD had separate rooms. It was no big deal and the kids didn't suggest anything different. She's 16 now and girlfriends and her gay boy friend sleep in her room. She's only ever invited other boys when there's a group of them and they all sleep in the garage (their choice).

iPaid Sun 13-Dec-15 13:11:25

It'd be a no from me. He could come and hang out at our house in the evening then I'd give him a lift home.

TaliZorah Sun 13-Dec-15 13:12:18

What's the problem with it? Separating them makes a massive thing about it. My best friends were boys and I'd have hated to be singled out just because I happened to be a girl.

I would let them share a room

Sadik Sun 13-Dec-15 14:23:57

No problem to stay up late watching movies etc, but then separate rooms, regardless of whether it's boy or girl sleeping over. Otherwise they're obnoxious the next day. <heartless parent emoticon>

Nigxmumxnog Sun 13-Dec-15 21:05:09

Personally i allow my children to have sleepovers with whoever they like, i allow them to have sex or do drugs if they wish to. I beleive my childrens happiness is more important than anything, that is why i allowed them to do hard drugs from the age of 12. Even if the sleepover ends in a pregnancy, is it really that bad if they had fun.

LynetteScavo Sun 13-Dec-15 21:13:42

grinNig

If they sleep in separate rooms there isn't much point in a sleepover...I don't like sleepovers so I'd just say no.

And while I think 12 is fine, I don't think 14 is, so I'd just say no now.

Littlemiss8 Wed 16-Dec-15 00:46:47

i had sleepovers with boys when I was younger and i was responsible enough to make the decision not to have sex with them too!

let her make the right decision.

JustDanceAddict Wed 16-Dec-15 15:04:39

I would say it really depends on their relationship. DD has known a couple of boys since she was born and I would trust them. If it's a newer friendship and there could be an element of fancying going on, then it's up to you. It's highly unlikely they'd have sex, they'd probably snog at the most!!

LaurieFairyCake Wed 16-Dec-15 15:29:44

A colleague counselled a 12 year old who'd got pregnant at a mixed sleepover last year.

They all had sex with each other 'to see who was the best at it' so she didn't know who the father was.

It was just luck the other 3 girls didn't get pregnant.

So, no, no and No.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 16-Dec-15 15:30:35

I let them up to puberty, then they get stupid and then I let them again when they're about 16.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now