My 13 year old son hosted a sleepover. one questions.?

(20 Posts)
Emmalia2007 Mon 07-Dec-15 08:01:28

Six of his friends from school and his football team were at my house for my son's birthday party + sleepover last Saturday/Sunday. I was a bit surprised when his friends were wearing boxers only and no T-shirts for the night. My son usually wears pyjamas. With his friends around he went to bed without the top as I found out in the morning. Obviously he did not want to be "uncool". Is this the typical "night dress code" for kids that age?

I don't want my son to stand out. But I also don't want to get calls from the other kids parents asking me why their kids run around my house half naked.

all of the boys age by the way is from 11-13

KP86 Mon 07-Dec-15 08:03:18

Sounds normal to me, but I'm surprised they weren't a bit chilly!

Hawest1 Mon 07-Dec-15 08:06:10

I think it's more personal choice. My brother is 12 & he's very much a pj & onesie kind of buddy.
there are loads of different choices out there, pjs, onesies, 'lounge pants', if he's feeling 'uncool' take him shopping & let him decide.
Or to avoid it next time have a 'onesie night' everyone attending must bring a onesie to chil out in (I still have these nights with my friends too!! Haha)

Emmalia2007 Mon 07-Dec-15 08:07:07

We have a heated house

KP86 Mon 07-Dec-15 11:11:03

PS. Not judging you re. heated/cool house - more an observation of young boys and their inability to feel the weather!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 07-Dec-15 11:13:26

Ds3 now 15 hasnt worn pyjamas since he was about 10.

Ds1 doesn't now but did at that age, and ds2 always wears pyjamas.

I think it's just down to personal preference.

loveulotslikejellytots Mon 07-Dec-15 11:14:18

Did the boys pack their own overnight bags and simply forget? My nephew had a sleepover the other day, my SIL said that none of the boys (14 years old) had apparently packed toothbrushes, clean underwear or even changes of clothes. Not sure about the nightwear situation, I didn't ask. They had however remembered x-box games, snacks and phone chargers grin

Savagebeauty Mon 07-Dec-15 11:15:20

DS 16 doesn't wear anything in bed

bigTillyMint Mon 07-Dec-15 14:37:14

DS is 14 and only wears boxers unless it's really cold. Same at sleepovers. No idea what his mates wear as I don't venture into the room, but one time they all brought their fleecy dressing gowns to sit in whilst they played FIFAgrin

JustDanceAddict Mon 07-Dec-15 19:26:09

My son often just wears boxers for bed as has for years. He's 11. He'd wear pjs for a sleepover though.

GasLIghtShining Mon 07-Dec-15 19:30:37

loveulots Thought I might know your SIL until I noticed the age. Spot on but here they bring extra TVs as well

Temporaryanonymity Mon 07-Dec-15 19:31:59

My 9 year old only wears boxers these days. He will sometimes wear a t-shirt. He has plenty of PJs but prefers not to wear them. Mind you this is a houseful of naked sleepers!

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 07-Dec-15 22:01:46

Mine dont do dressing gowns or slippers. DS1 (15) wears PJ bottoms/lounge pants in bed but pulls on a tshirt to come down for breakfast. DS2 (14) usually wears PJs - e.g lounge pants or shorts with a tshirt.

Apart from Uniform, they live in jersey shorts and t-shirts all year round for casual wear.

BackforGood Mon 07-Dec-15 22:46:01

At that age, ds would just wear boxers, or shorts.

Now he lives in a student house he has asked for long legged PJs / "loungewear" / sweatshirts / blankets / slippers..... grin

WeAllHaveWings Mon 07-Dec-15 22:49:39

Ds(11) sleepover friends all wear pjs, but we are in Scotland and the heating clicks off for the night at 9:30

MEgirl Tue 08-Dec-15 09:38:27

Personal. DSs both wear PJs, long or short, all year long. I've tried a few times to get them to just wear boxers or shorts when it gets hot in the summer but they both claim that they prefer to have a shirt and shorts on.

QuinionsRainbow Tue 08-Dec-15 13:44:02

Back in our DCs' sleepover days, I don't think we ever encountered a PJ-clad body on the lounge floor first thing in the morning, the preferred early-teen sleepover nightwear option consisting of shorts, worn universally topless by the boys and generally, but not always, teamed with T-shirts/crop tops/strappy vests by the girls. Our own DCs were habitual nude sleepers by that point, as were many of their friends, hence the absence of traditional night attire and the need to improvise with underwear when sleeping in company. From OP's observations, things haven't changed much in the past decade or so.

iklboo Tue 08-Dec-15 13:52:44

DS(10) just wears pyjama shorts whatever the weather. He throws off anything other than a single fleece blanket you put over him - even though he's got a duvet & other blankets he could use.

purpledasies Tue 08-Dec-15 13:56:49

DS and DSS both own pyjamas and neither of them ever wear the tops. They say they get too hot, even though our house is not warm at night. I think its their metabolisms - doing all that growing at night must keep them warm.

lauren19766 Fri 09-Sep-16 21:58:05

every child is different, my 12 year old wears footed pyjamas, vest and briefs and my 9 year old wears just boxers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now