Talk

Advanced search

Best way forward for revision/exams..advice please

(4 Posts)
Patchworkrainbow123 Sat 28-Nov-15 22:48:02

DS is in 4 th year at school so the year of exams! He sits his mocks in January and has a whole load of course work to get through too. He has very much coasted through school so far doing the minimum to get by. I would say he is kind of average academically and could get decent grades if he worked.

I'm really at a loss of how to support him through this time. So far he has to do 1/2 hour revision every night (to look over the days notes etc) and 3 hours on at the weekend doing homework/revision. I've no idea at all if I'm doing the right thing or if I should just leave him completely to his devices (just study/revise, if or when he feels like it)

I'm trying really hard to be supportive but don't want to put too much pressure on him. He is quite a sensitive soul and I can see he is already quite stressed with pressure of this year at school. I fear though left to his own devices he would spend all his time on the Xbox!

What's the best way forward?

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 28-Nov-15 22:55:54

No idea but in the same boat except prelims begin on Monday!!

At parents night they said he should probably pass but could get A's with a bit of revision/home study. No idea if that went in at all, but it is apparently what they said to everybody according to DS and some parents that I know to speak to (not that many).

It's hard to put an old head on young shoulders, we've planned in 2 half hours every day and similar to you at the weekend. I think he has included homework in that too but no idea if he has actually done anything productive or if he has just read stuff (or done nothing).

I sort of hope that if he hasn't worked, that he doesn't do very well as it might give him a boot up the bum.

What subjects is your DS doing?

Patchworkrainbow123 Sat 28-Nov-15 23:09:57

I was just saying the same to DH, I'm expecting the prelims to give him a major wake up call! It's all so terrifying and I'm so unsure of how to support him.

DS is doing maths, English, biology, modern studies, history and pe.

I've just spend a shed load on past papers/revision notes from Amazon. Will come in useful for kindling if nothing else wink

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 28-Nov-15 23:15:05

DS is doing Maths, English, Physics, Geography, Computing Science, Engineering Science and Art.

I also have a DS in 3rd year and about to choose his Nat5 subjects, he wants to do Maths, English, History, Modern Studies, Business Management, Physics and Chemistry. So there isn't a lot of crossover to be able to get 2 years from the study guides and past papers!

It's going to be constant exams in this house for years sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now