Talk

Advanced search

Dating!!

(11 Posts)
Poppydoll1 Fri 20-Nov-15 08:51:49

Has dating changed much since we were teenagers?? Is it not so formal more hanging out ?
My dd has been seeing her "friend" for about 6 weeks and says they are just friends yet have kissed etc

Sugarsugar123 Fri 20-Nov-15 14:34:13

Same DD and her "friend" have been kissing and going on 2-3 times weekly dinners, cinema etc! But whenever I say boyfriend she gets all huffy and says "we aren't official we are seeing how things go". This has been going on about 4 months!

Hedgehoginthegarden Fri 20-Nov-15 15:16:13

I don't have much of a clue here tbh. With dd16, when she had a boyfriend (I knew nothing about it but that's another story) I think they used to hang around in a group and I don't think they did the proper dating thing. I think they must have sneaked off to be alone together at some point but as far as I know they didn't do dates as such but I never even met the lad so what do I know?

Peebles1 Fri 20-Nov-15 16:53:54

They have funny rules, apparently. I asked my 17 yr old DD to explain them to me when she first starting seeing her BF at 14yrs. They chat on FB etc.. Once they start flirting on it's called 'talking'. Then they arrange to meet up. Once you are 'talking' to someone and meeting them (which in our day would have been called 'going on a date'!), you shouldn't 'talk' to anyone else. During this time they do indeed kiss (and more besides once they're older, apparently). Then after a certain period of time (seems to be determined by the boy), they become official and change their status on FB! This is when they are allowed to call them 'boyfriend'. Apparently it's a heinous crime to call them boyfriend before this point. She's on BF number 2 now. In both cases it took about 2 months of dating before they became official. And the status change on FB came about 3 weeks after that. Hilarious!!

Socialaddict Fri 20-Nov-15 18:08:28

OMG following with interest! DD 15 has been "talking" and "been just friends" with this boy since they were 12, but are still not official! I lost patience with this, not sure about her! I think it is correct that when they become official is determined by the boy but ours is very slow clearly! The other girls are on boyfriend number 3 by now! Amazingly, my DD is very patient as I think this suits her at the moment.

SheGotAllDaMoves Fri 20-Nov-15 19:01:02

DD16 has a 'friend' who she has met up with several times in the last few weeks.

He texts her quite a bit with lots of xxxxxx

But she 'doesn't want to put a label on it' and didn't send the poor bugger one text when we went away at half term. Certainly not being determined b the boy in question who I think would very much like to put a label on it.

coffeeisnectar Fri 20-Nov-15 19:04:27

I dunno. Dd 17 has been resolutely single (afaik) and is too busy with school, work and activities to fit a boy in. There was a brief "talking to" with Harry but nothing came of it.

tsonlyme Fri 20-Nov-15 19:16:21

Don't forget swiping, it's a stage! (Tindr grin ) although dd1(18), despite swiping from time and ending up in a relationship for while because of it, really really doesn't want to tell her children (one day, they don't exist yet) that she met their father on tindr, haha.

Dd2(16) has had a boyfriend for the last six weeks, he very formally asked her out but they've only been on three dates since the start, not sure if it's a slow burn or a damp squib haha. I'm trying to keep my nose out.

ParochialE9 Sat 21-Nov-15 08:56:04

First you 'talk' then after a bit start 'seeing each other' which involves actual meeting and physical contact, then eventually start 'going out'. Took DDand bf four months before they reached the going out stage and it's now ok to refer to him as her boyfriend 😄👍

Kez100 Sat 19-Dec-15 23:44:22

I'm quite impressed by the sense in this! Getting to know them a bit first. Can't say it was what I did!!

justatoe1 Thu 24-Dec-15 10:43:18

Ah...that explains Dds disgust at boys who 'talk' to more than one girl at a time! Couldn't see the problem myself but obviously talking isn't just talking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now