Talk

Advanced search

Leave your teen alone overnight

(13 Posts)
onanotherday Wed 18-Nov-15 16:09:09

I have plans to stay out Friday night and dc organised to have sleep overs. But ds just 15 wants to stay home as he wants to do his own thing? ...do I insist he goes to babysitter, cancel my plans or let him stay alone?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 18-Nov-15 16:10:40

It's that age where I think some would leave their 15 year olds.

I wouldn't, it's too young for me. I wouldn't be able to enjoy my night.

AlpacaLypse Wed 18-Nov-15 16:13:31

I'd have considered leaving dd2, the sensible one, alone at that age, but frankly wouldn't have felt comfortable. dd1 no way. She's totally ditsy.

PestoSkiissimos Wed 18-Nov-15 16:19:31

I had to leave DD2 when she was 15 last year, when I had to travel to the other end of the country for DD1's university Open Day. She was perfectly fine. Remembered to switch things off, looked after the cat and herself with no problems. I did, however, have a close friend on 'stand-by' should she have needed assistance and my next-door-neighbours said she could go round there if she got nervous on her own. She didn't though!

Ravingloony Wed 18-Nov-15 17:18:40

I think it depends on the child and whether you are comfortable leaving them. Ds would have been fine at that age but i wouldnt have been happy. But there is no way I would have left dd. I would be even less inclined to leave her now (she's 16) as I couldn't trust her not to have a party and she's not responsible enough!

I wouldn't leave him but also wouldn't insist on a babysitter. I think I'd go out but come home, rather than staying out all night.

Floralnomad Wed 18-Nov-15 17:27:04

My DS would have been ok at that age ,very sensible and trustworthy .

GonzoFlyingProducts Wed 18-Nov-15 23:56:40

Are you kidding? Or are you kidding yourself? If you don't (or can't) trust your 15 yr old in the house for one night then you have somehow gone very badly wrong in his upbringing. He's 15 - he knows how the toaster and the TV work... What are you scared of?

BackforGood Thu 19-Nov-15 00:03:04

It very much depends on the 15 yr old, but I'd err on the side of 'no'.
We left dd overnight on her own for the first time last year, at 16 - bit illogical but that seemed much better somehow, than 15 - however, I wouldn't have left ds on his own in the house at 15.

AliMonkey Thu 19-Nov-15 00:12:53

I was certainly left occasionally overnight at that age, but then parents knew that I was sensible (ie boring) teenager! So provided they aren't the sort to have a party, get drunk or trash the house, then fine. And presumably you have a good idea of that from having (hopefully) left them for evenings etc before. At least these days you are likely to be contactable by mobile if any problems.

Having said that, I have friends who only left their DD for a couple of hours in the evening (when they were out for a meal with us a couple of miles away) for the first time when she was 15, and she's very sensible as far as I know! And maybe I'll be just as bad when I have teenagers - my eldest is 10 and have only ever managed to leave her for 15 mins max on her own as she doesn't want to be left - I've obviously gone wrong somewhere! I keep telling her that in a year's time she's going to have to do it, and keep trying to get her more independent.

itsthecircleoflife Thu 19-Nov-15 00:36:40

Can he cook? Is he responsible enough to remember to lock doors and close windows etc? Will he throw a party even if you tell him not to?

If you can answer "yes" to these- then leave him. Otherwise, it would be a no here.

Is there a neighbour who would knock to check if he was OK and to keep an eye out?

onanotherday Thu 19-Nov-15 10:12:47

Thanks for all your replies. Yes he is very (boring ) sensible,and would be able to look after himself. Also surrsnded by friends and neighbours. ....update he has changed his mind 😀 phew. I think we have just been testing boundaries.

SoWhite Sat 21-Nov-15 21:08:31

My eldest would have been fine, my youngest no way.

All about your own kid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now