Talk

Advanced search

I feel like DS (14) is permanently on his mobile phone with his headphones on!

(10 Posts)
josben Sun 15-Nov-15 07:11:46

Its driving me nuts! He is always fb messaging - and its from the moment he wakes up to when he goes to bed - how can i control this - aibu to want to limit / control this...?

But He is a good lad - he's doing well at school, has a paper round he does 7 mornings a week, he's in scouts and helps and does voluntary stuff with them and he does drama every week...

he's just decided to give up hockey as he says not enjoying it any more and hes tired from his paper round (its on a sunday moring) which i am really disappointed about as it physical exercise and a team game (although as DS says he does do an hour and a half bike ride ever morning doing his paper round...)

I just feel like his phone and facebook are the most important things to him...

not sure what i can and should be doing to limit this / or aibu ....? !

Ingles2 Sun 15-Nov-15 07:15:58

Don't know what to suggest but we have exactly the same! We've had to put an overnight timer on the Internet as ds1 was using it in the middle of the night! He's 16.. I've started turning the router off during the day as well until I'm satisfied everything has been done. I think ds1 is addicted quite frankly!

PennyHasNoSurname Sun 15-Nov-15 07:17:12

What would ypu rather he did? As long as he is able to maintain his his schoolwork, and any commitments he has, then why is it a problem?

Id say no devices at the dinnertable or after lights out but maybe you already do that?

Ledkr Sun 15-Nov-15 07:19:07

Mine too!
I take it at night tho and she does go to dance 4xweekly so has a break.
I've started to realise that it's just like tv to them and Id rather she was at home on the Internet than out hanging about like some of her peers.

Ledkr Sun 15-Nov-15 07:19:59

I also flick the router off to get stuff done occasionally

josben Sun 15-Nov-15 07:24:27

Hi Thank for your posts - yes, we have the no devices at the table rule and i did start taking it off him at night time - to charge it downstairs (but he says he needs the alarm as his clock radio doesn't work properly!)

He also loves you tube and i think you are right about the internet being like TV used to be....

I do feel like hes addicted too!

josben Sun 15-Nov-15 07:25:41

I always forget about switching off the wifi! thats a thought smile

BrendaandEddie Sun 15-Nov-15 07:34:42

Think giving up things is normal. Plus they really are tired. They're growing

BrendaandEddie Sun 15-Nov-15 07:35:19

I always laugh at the two devices at the table rule we'll read the newspaper now laptops and phones in the morning as we have breakfast

specialsubject Sun 15-Nov-15 10:55:57

with that bike ride he's getting enough exercise.

spend a fiver on an alarm clock. Take the phone away at night, they are a sleep disaster. Also be aware that he's probably blowing out his hearing with constant music, let him know about this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: