Talk

Advanced search

Dating Question

(19 Posts)
BaconAndAvocado Tue 10-Nov-15 17:25:34

DS1 , 17, wants to ask a girl out for,the very first time. He's really nervous about asking her out in person and wants to message her on Facebook (privately).

Is that the done thing these days? I'm not on Facebook and DS1 doesn't have a huge social circle so I'm not up,with these things.

Tia

SecretSquirr3ls Tue 10-Nov-15 17:38:43

Oh it's painful isn't it?
I think they mostly use FB just for the messaging these days, certainly my two do. They never actually post on there.
I think that chatting on line is the way they often do things. Tentatively getting to know one another. As to actually asking her out that way, as long as he knows her well enough to actually speak when they meet I see no problem with it. Cinema is a good way to start, not too demanding conversation wise wink.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 10-Nov-15 17:50:02

Thanks secret I think he's going to suggest the cinema!

It is painful!

I guess the Facebook approach would be difficult if he didn't get a reply straight away.

He informs me that he thinks she'll say yes, as she's been smiling a lot at him smile

BaconAndAvocado Tue 10-Nov-15 20:27:59

Is done! He's message her and asked her out!!!

NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Tue 10-Nov-15 20:48:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

patterkiller Tue 10-Nov-15 20:58:36

Oh bless. Hope it goes well.

BaconAndAvocado Tue 10-Nov-15 21:13:21

Me too! He's in the other room, I'm too scared to ask him?

He kept saying, "I think she'll definitely say yes, Mum, because she kept smiling at me". I really hope he's not going to be too disappointed if it's a No sad

NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Tue 10-Nov-15 21:33:39

BaconAndAvocado Tue 10-Nov-15 22:18:36

She's replied and said that she'd "love" to go to the cinema with him!!!

He is over the moon.
Now what?!.........grin

Heyho111 Tue 10-Nov-15 22:58:50

Now you leave him too it. Hard I know as you probably like me want to know the ins and outs.

NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Wed 11-Nov-15 01:10:03

SecretSquirr3ls Wed 11-Nov-15 11:12:50

He will need a week to get ready. He will have nothing to wear and his hair will be all wrong and he'll wear too much after shave.
Hope it goes well.

NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Wed 11-Nov-15 12:32:27

BaconAndAvocado Wed 11-Nov-15 22:13:17

Weeeeell, the latest development is that after saying she'd loved to go to the cinema with him, he hasn't heard a thing........sad

Me and DH have explained that the world of dating isn't always black and white, the ball's in her court now and just to see what happens.

My heartbroken out to him! It seems like she was initially into the idea of date and has now, I'm not sure why, cooled off.

Any advice? apart from don't get over involved

SecretSquirr3ls Thu 12-Nov-15 16:40:29

This might be a bit obvious but perhaps she's waiting for him to say a time and date?
Did he give her a choice of films , preferably rom com?

<now who's over involved?>

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Thu 12-Nov-15 16:44:51

I think the ball is now in his court. He needs to ask what sort of film she'd like, suggest a day, and possibly pizza or something as well.

If she's said she'd love to go, then she must want to go, and is waiting for him to suggest the arrangements. grin

AuntieStella Thu 12-Nov-15 16:45:07

I think he needs to keep the conversation going. So perhaps he should ask her if there's anything on at the moment she'd particularly like to see, and if she's free on Friday.

Before sending it, he needs to see what's on locally, so he knows what he'd like to see and what's on generally, so he can make some suggestions. If she's busy this weekend, Mockingjay III opens at the end of next week, so opening night for that could be a good suggestion.

patterkiller Thu 12-Nov-15 16:59:42

I think she will be waiting for a reply from him won't she? He asked her so he suggests a day, asks if she's free and what films she likes.

BaconAndAvocado Thu 12-Nov-15 17:25:16

New development...........she's said she definitely wants to,go so,now they're trying to,sort out a time and date!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: