Talk

Advanced search

Meningitis ACWY Vaccine

(6 Posts)
iwantgin Thu 05-Nov-15 11:23:12

I had heard that this vaccination was to be offered to older teenagers. DS is in Y13 so should be getting his in this school year, I think.

vaccination

Has anyone heard from their young person's school about this yet ? Or had the vaccine ?

TranquilityofSolitude Thu 05-Nov-15 11:31:28

I'm wondering the same thing. I have a DD in Yr13. Last week I took my nephew (in Yr12) for a different vaccination and the nurse gave him the meningitis vaccine at the same time as she said he would be getting it soon anyway.

iwantgin Thu 05-Nov-15 11:35:03

Ah thanks Tranquility.

Well, I will see if I get any communication from school regarding it - and if nothing before Christmas break then I will give them a call.

SecretSquirr3ls Thu 05-Nov-15 13:26:07

I have a DS19 and DS17. They are giving it on the NHS to all 16 to 24 year olds who are in school or first year of university.
DS1 did not qualify as he is second year so I paid for him to have it done.

My GP surgery says the vaccine is in short supply and they anticipate DS2 will be called up in April 2016.

DS1 had very unpleasant side effects. Flu like aches and extreme fatigue for 2 days. No big deal but he worth knowing in advance.

tumpymummy Sun 08-Nov-15 16:40:18

My DS has had this at school recently. He is in Year 9, age 14. Unfortunately the nurse came in to school on his birthday (end of Sept) and so there was no choice over the date. But he was fine afterwards, no side effects at all. DD is at the same school (year 7) but she wasn't offered it.

bigbluebus Mon 09-Nov-15 20:37:09

My DS left Yr 13 in June so was in the group who were going off to Uni who needed to have it in September. I asked twice at the GP surgery if he would be getting a letter and they said Yes, but didn't know when. I made DS ring and book an appointment himself in the end as i doubt he would have had it before going away otherwise.
He had a temp of 39 the day after the jab and spent the day in bed but was fine the following day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: