Talk

Advanced search

a levels...anyone else who'll be flipping channels tomoz

(13 Posts)
MuddhaOfSuburbia Wed 12-Aug-15 18:19:45

...to avoid sight of delighted 18yos brandishing results/leaping for cameras?

My sad/lazy/bright/anxious <strike out whichever doesnt apply> teen is stuck

He flopped his AS levels last year, got chucked out of college, found another college that would take him to resit (harder than you'd think), flunked out between Christmas and Easter (terrible anxiety and/or stuckedness), did exams at home, may well flop again. Either way, he looks done with education for now

I know a levels, further and higher ed aren't everything. I know that. Really I do

But that's the easiest way to Do Stuff these days. The path is marked quite clearly, and it's really at 21 you expect a bit of a 'wtf???' moment. Ds will be going off the path quite early, and I know that if he wants to get back on it, it's going to be a bit of a schlep

Anyone else turning telly over, muting threads, leaving facebook alone for a bit, feeling a little bit sad in spite of themselves?

YeOldeTrout Wed 12-Aug-15 22:03:45

I'm kind of confused, what does he want to do now?

MuddhaOfSuburbia Thu 13-Aug-15 07:54:48

Well quite

He knows what he doesn't want to do (college)...and yet apparently he wants to go to college confused

There is talk of finding a job-tho if he's anxious about college, how hard will it be to actually go and find work, I wonder?

There's lots of same aged teens I've 'followed', as it were, on here, on twitter, of course in rl. All now off to university, going thro clearing, or in work

I wish mine was

YeOldeTrout Thu 13-Aug-15 08:07:28

All teens are anxious; welcome to realising you're not in charge of the world.

What jobs do teens in your area do? Around here there's care work for age 18+, cafes, restaurants, bussing tables, garden work, laying driveways...

timeforabrewnow Thu 13-Aug-15 08:07:38

flowers for you.

My DS became very anxious about his exams this year (one year prior to GCSEs) and is at a school where a there are very high expectations of all the pupils. He didn't write anything at all for 3 of the exams sad

We may very well be where you are now in a few years time, I can easily see how it happens for some.

In 'the good old days' kids were allowed to leave school at 16 and get a job/apprenticeship. Has your son tried getting a part time job? Easier said than done, I know. Maybe even working as a volunteer might boost his confidence a bit.

Perhaps he's saying he wants/doesn't want to go to college as he doesn't know what else to say.

Even if he doesn't progress with college when he is supposed to, there are always mature students at Uni and the Open University is excellent. Not a straightforward route I know.

Or what about ditching A levels and going for a more vocational B-tech? I don't much about that, but there are lots of knowledgeable people on here who might.

thecatfromjapan Thu 13-Aug-15 08:16:25

It's rough, isn't it? You're so right about there being pretty much One Way now, and it being so hard if they go off it.

Good luck.

thecatfromjapan Thu 13-Aug-15 08:32:52

I just meant to say that you're not alone.

bigbluebus Thu 13-Aug-15 12:52:03

Can he apply for an apprenticeship where he will be doing part work/part college? Are there any careers advisors in your area who help out with finding this sort of thing - I know have seen info about such things around here but haven't taken a lot of notice as it wasn't a route my DS wanted to follow so I can't remember if they were Local Authority led or another organisation - sorry.

I also have a bright/lazy/anxious DS who has ASD but he has managed to get a part time job and has just been accepted at his 1st choice Uni (so perhaps not as lazy as I thought) but it has been a long hard slog for all of us - school exclusions/constant school meetings - so I feel your pain.

MuddhaOfSuburbia Thu 13-Aug-15 13:17:46

Thank you all

flowers

I'm reading but trying to entertain/burn lunch for 4 11yos

will post later!

MuddhaOfSuburbia Thu 13-Aug-15 14:33:19

trout yes, maybe all teens are anxious

not to the point of hyperventilation/diarrhoea/throwing up/therapy/school refusal etc etc though, I hope-I've got two more behind him and really don't want to go thro this again

since ds shrieks every time he gets hold of a kettle, I'll pass on the care work for now- wouldn't want to inflict him on the vulnerable elderly just yet

grin

MuddhaOfSuburbia Thu 13-Aug-15 14:41:31

brew I would say that the one good thing about your ds going through this now is that, because of his age (and the school's high expectations/results) I would expect/hope that they'll do all they can to help him? Have you had any contact with them on this?

we had thought about apprenticeships, but have missed the boat as far as this year goes, I think- you have to apply by April to start in September, so he'd have to find something useful to do for the academic year. Btecs might be worth a look- not something we'd thought of before- thank you!

cat flowers

and bigbluebus it's good to know that it's possible to come out the other side. Really. Well done to your ds- and to you. I know how hard it is.

Clara66 Thu 13-Aug-15 18:15:36

Hi Muddha,

Don't give up on apprenticeships - they are still available - have a look via your local college website or on gov.uk. Depends on the job I think.

My dd has had her own problems and decided against a levels. She is doing an extended Btec more or less equivalent to 3 a levels in applied science and accepted at many universities. She hated school and much prefers college. She likes the Btec assessments and more practical aspect throughout the 2 years compared to final exams.

Good luck!

MuddhaOfSuburbia Thu 13-Aug-15 21:03:11

Thank you, Clara

I had no idea there were apprenticeships available outside the main 'season'-there are loads!

Again, btec looks like a good shout. And good to know A levels aren't the only path to go down-there are viable alternatives

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now