Talk

Advanced search

Would you let you DD go to a concert with another girl (both 14) on their own?

(19 Posts)
Mummybee18 Wed 12-Aug-15 11:22:49

DD just turned 14 and would like to go to a concert with her friend. DH thinks it’s ok as he went to concerts on his own when he was 13/14. I trust them to behave themselves and I will be waiting outside the venue until they are ready to be collected. I think they just want to their independence.

Would you let your own DD go in the same situation? The venue permits 14+ unaccompanied.

AlpacaMyBags Wed 12-Aug-15 11:24:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Leeds2 Wed 12-Aug-15 11:26:12

I did this with my DD and her friend when they were, I think, 12. It was at the O2, and they didn't match the age requirement (which I didn't know about!). O2 were great about it, and let them in as I left my mobile number and promised not to leave the complex. Have done this at the O2 a few times since.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 12-Aug-15 11:26:56

My dd is doing this in a couple of months, she's turning 14 this month and this will be her first concert without me.
I'll be at the venue but only because it's in a city a few hours away and we are staying over, if it was my nearest City I'd let her get the train there and back alone.

shitebag Wed 12-Aug-15 11:29:37

I did this a few times when I was 11/12 (in the 90's), my Mum dropped us off and picked us up at the entrance and all was fine so I'd be happy to let mine go but not travel alone if too far or late at night.

It was Boyzone and Steps concerts I frequented though so not too rowdy blush grin

AtiaoftheJulii Wed 12-Aug-15 11:33:04

Yes, have done this many times - she has also been going to gigs alone from about that age. One of us would meet her afterwards - have collected her from all over the bloody place!

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 12-Aug-15 11:35:09

shitebag dd was laughing at me yesterday as I was wearing a Boyzone tour tshirt from 1995!

Mummybee18 Wed 12-Aug-15 12:00:07

Thanks ladies for you reply.

mygrandchildrenrock Wed 12-Aug-15 12:09:33

I will go against the grain here, but I guess it does depend which band. My OH worked in rock 'n roll for over 25 yrs and he would never let ours go alone to a gig. He saw too many crush incidents, including a fatality and always insisted on accompanying ours.

Hulababy Wed 12-Aug-15 12:39:58

I would say, depending on the band, yes. Especially if seated tickets.

I had this with dd earlier this year. She was 13, as were her two friends. I did have a ticket too. They were all seated. It was for some boy band. At Manchester arena.

However, I injured myself beforehand and couldn't drive there so had to get Dh to drive us. Then it seemed wrong to have Dh stick on his own miles from home all night and it wasn't someone I was bothered about seeing anyway.

So we sent the three girls together. I walked them to the venue from the car park and watched them get in. And we arranged a meeting place outside. The finish was a bit manic - thousands of teenage girls look the same!!! But the girls had phones as did I. We spoke and met up no problem.

So, I'd say yes generally.

Hulababy Wed 12-Aug-15 12:41:10

Most venues say it's fine from 14y btw. We figured the girls at 13y looked old enough and were sensible. There was nonissue getting in.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 12-Aug-15 13:56:12

Dd's going to see Fallout Boy if that helps.
She would love to see Slipknot, but no bloody way yet.

shitebag Wed 12-Aug-15 14:27:20

Fallout boy are pretty tame I imagine so wouldn't have an issue with that, I saw Slipknot when I was 19 and left with a black eye after some dude moshed me in the face but wasn't intentional I don't think grin

mygrandchildrenrock Wed 12-Aug-15 18:52:20

At 19 though, you were probably much more able to deal with that than a 13 or 14 yr old would be. It's hard isn't it, giving your DC skills to deal with all sorts of situations without necessarily having those situations happen, if that makes sense!

SacredHeart Wed 12-Aug-15 18:56:50

I went to Marilyn Manson a week before my 16th birthday. My dad collected is outside the docklands and drove us home.

That said we did get invited backstage and we only didn't because I was too naive honest and told them I wasn't 16 yet.

Biggest regret ever.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 12-Aug-15 19:01:52

Yes.
I went up London by myself to see a band at 15.
I wouldn't let mine do that,but I remember feeling quite capable of it.

scatterthenuns Wed 12-Aug-15 21:16:52

Yeah, I would. Concerts are very tame and well equipped with security.

Spidermama Thu 13-Aug-15 18:26:43

Definitely! She'll love it and it's so good for her.

RapidlyOscillating Thu 13-Aug-15 18:34:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now