Talk

Advanced search

I know this is cheeky to ask... but i wanted a female option :)

(30 Posts)
hopelessguy Mon 10-Aug-15 20:56:21

I know this may not be quite what this forum is intended for, but I would really appreciate your help.

I want to get a birthday present for a 13 year old girl. I want it to be something special - not just a top or a phone or a CD etc etc, i want something that is a bit special and unique. I was wondering if you had any suggestions? Sometimes the smallest cheapest things can mean the most.

What is the sweetest, nicest most thoughtful thing you have been given or that you have seen someone else given?

Also do you have any unique suggestions of how to give the gift. Eg have you seen it where you put an item in a giant balloon with lots of glitter and you have to burst the balloon to see what is inside - that's quite quirky and unique and shows a level of care and thought.

Thank you for your help.

whiskeytangofoxtrot Mon 10-Aug-15 21:02:52

how old are you?

msrisotto Mon 10-Aug-15 21:04:10

^ that

PresidentTwonk Mon 10-Aug-15 21:06:17

Depends on your relationship as to what you buy so need more info, are you a friend, boyfriend, uncle, father etc etc?

hopelessguy Mon 10-Aug-15 21:06:24

Sorry I should probably have explained. It is for my friends Daughter, but both are very close to me. I want the gift to be unique - I don't want it to be just something standard.

Also - your suggestions don't have to be based on a teenage gift. It may be that you have had a present for someone at a different age but I may be able to apply a similar type of thing to something that is more aged to her.

thank you

Rascalls3 Mon 10-Aug-15 21:09:42

How much do you want to spend? What is your relationship to the birthday girl. I can't work out if you are a young friend or father figure. One of my daughter's boyfriends unwrapped an Easter egg. Cracked it open. Popped a little gift inside ( an inexpensive watch I think) Resealed egg with melted chocolate and re wrapped egg very carefully. It was a lovely, quirky gift. Obviously given for a birthday around Easter but you might be able to do something a little more seasonally appropriate. Good luck!

hopelessguy Mon 10-Aug-15 21:12:05

Rascalls3 is on the right track. That's the type of suggestion I am after!

midnightvelvetPart2 Mon 10-Aug-15 21:12:07

You are sounding more than a bit creepy op!

You are sounding like you need a gift for a girlfriend, not a 13 year old. hmm confused

Delilahfandango Mon 10-Aug-15 21:14:58

I don't think you sound creepy! I have no suggestions though as my brain is struggling to think of a unique present for my soon to be 13 yo son!!!

zippyswife Mon 10-Aug-15 21:18:36

Agree with midnight. This sounds creepy as hell!

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Aug-15 21:21:41

And you joined mn just ask this...

JeanSeberg Mon 10-Aug-15 21:21:53

*to

FishWithABicycle Mon 10-Aug-15 21:29:12

A grownup shouldn't really be trying to do this 'special unique gift' thing for a friend's daughter. It is creepy because grownups are not really supposed to be that significant in a 13 yo's life. You can't ingratiate yourself with a 13yo by buying a perfect gift.

ShipShapeAhoy Mon 10-Aug-15 21:29:12

The reason small, cheap presents can mean the most is because they have meaning between the giver and receiver. Strangers on the internet can't really help with that.

At 13 I imagine she's starting to get a bit more independent and go out with friends alone, so maybe treating her and a friend to a meal, or a cool activity like zorbing, would be fun. If her parents allow it of course.

You can get quirky gifts from sites like firebox and not on the high st. Maybe take a look on there.

hopelessguy Mon 10-Aug-15 21:31:11

Wow! I don't really know what to say to that. All I am looking for are suggestions to do something nice for someone. If you think it is 'creepy' then that is up to you I guess.

I thought I might have a load of responses with stories about nice things that people have done for you / other people, but clearly my expectation was wrong.

If anyone else is kind enough to post any nice suggestions that would be great - please do so. If however you have just got nasty comments to make then please feel free to just keep that to yourself.

marinerkk Mon 10-Aug-15 21:34:41

My teenage sister bought a pack of playing cards, made a hole in the top corner and strung them all together. On each card she wrote a memory of something we did or a daft phrase or something we'd laughed at or what she liked about me. On the front of the top card it said 52 things I like about you. I loved it!

LL0015 Mon 10-Aug-15 21:34:51

Trouble is your user name is hopelessguy and you're talking to lots of mothers without making clear the relationship to the 13 year old girl. That would help enormously. Saves us all being judgemental.

CamelHump Mon 10-Aug-15 21:38:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CamelHump Mon 10-Aug-15 21:39:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hopelessguy Mon 10-Aug-15 21:40:05

Hi LL0015.

Yes point taken. I have known her since she was born - her mum is my best friend.

13 is a significant birthday so I wanted to try and do something a bit different but clearly misjudged it and the wording of my question.

Sorry sad

tethersend Mon 10-Aug-15 21:43:11

Why not just ask her mum what she'd like?

ObiWanCannoli Mon 10-Aug-15 21:43:36

I was very close to my grandad and he passed a few months before my 14th birthday. My aunties and my mum framed some of the very first rocket plans he designed. It was very special and sentimental.

Things like that are hard to recreate. I was also once given a plant by an old gentleman a good friend of my dad and grandfather I was a bit suprised and found the plant odd at first but I looked after it and cared for it and learned more about the meaning of the plant it was cactus or succulent I think is more accurate it was spotty and beautiful in its own way. I learned more about my grandfathers friend how he was a prisoner of war and my grandfathers family had looked after him. He was Jewish trying to hide his identity. I felt very guilty for feeling off about the gift. It was very kind and deeply thoughtful as it was his mothers favourite plant and I reminded him of his mother and sister and his childhood and happiness. I learned this over many years and I think of him often. My dad travelled with him to his home country shortly before he passed he wanted to die in the village he was born.

Hard to give gifts like that. They have to come from somewhere unexpected.

Tutt Mon 10-Aug-15 21:44:01

The easiest , safest and non-creepist way is to ask her Mum exactly what you asked here.
Thing is a guy asking for ideas of gifts to give very young non-related children isn't going to be met in any other way than suspicion, you could be grooming and looking for ideas for all we know.

JillBYeats Mon 10-Aug-15 21:45:59

My DD of the same age got a present of an itunes voucher or book voucher and it was in a pretty box surrounded by her favourite chocolates (I think they were Roses) - I didn't pay much attention at the time but she absolutely loved the gift.

Cupcaketin Mon 10-Aug-15 21:48:25

Tbh the best thing you could probably get for.a 13 yr old is a.voucher of.some.sort (amazon, iTunes, waterstones) and wrap it in a £20 note. That would be my dd' s ideal present!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now