Talk

Advanced search

Dreading, dreading, dreading AS results day

(10 Posts)
Biglaugh Wed 05-Aug-15 14:31:25

I can't believe another summer is being blighted by results.
Last year it was GCSEs which managed to mess up the last two days of a once in a lifetime trip to NY.
When the results weren't as she had hoped I mopped up the tears and then tried to compensate by spending far too much money on clothes, manicures etc for her.
And here we are again. This time it is the day before my birthday. And I know I am a grown up and it shouldn't matter but the angst and gloominess that is projected if I even mention next week is just so depressing.
I know she will be putting herself down as usual if they're not good results.
Any tips??

AnyFucker Wed 05-Aug-15 14:53:52

decide that they are her results to angst over and get on with your day ?

and resolve not to spend a fortune over compensating for her failures, should that be the case

fingers crossed, anyway thanks

Biglaugh Wed 05-Aug-15 16:11:36

Oh AnyFucker that is such good and sensible advice.
I am trying very hard not to buy into her anxieties at the moment and draw back from always reacting.
Thank you star

AnyFucker Wed 05-Aug-15 17:34:15

easy said, eh ?

We go into GCSE year for the second time next month. I am sure a few more grey hairs will appear smile

TeenAndTween Wed 05-Aug-15 17:50:41

This is how I view it.

Either she worked hard, in which case the results will be what they will be, and it is the best she could have done.

Or she didn't, in which case it's her own fault if they're not great so you should try not to get too worked up about them.

Easier said than done (anxiously waiting for 20th August in our house).

Travelledtheworld Thu 06-Aug-15 11:56:12

DD adopted a very casual approach to revising for her GCSE's and I am similarly trying to adopt a casual approach to results day. Nothing I can do.

I also would NOT be offering treats and rewards to soften the blow. Just let her get on with it.

Good luck anyway.....

LIZS Thu 06-Aug-15 12:02:17

Ds seems more relaxed this year. Most of those we know plan to go on holiday pretty much straight away.

RandomFriend Thu 06-Aug-15 12:18:23

In addition to AF's very wise perspective, my tip is to take a long-term view: poor results on AS day are not necessarily a disaster for the rest of life.

Remember one key point of education is to get them to the next stage. Your DD's GCSE results - despite being "not as she hoped" - got her on to the AS course.

She is anyway going to do A2s (it is unlikely that a school will ask them to leave at this stage). If the poorer-than-expected results are due to lack of effort/organisation, this could bed a wake-up call to work harder or be more organised next year. If it is due to poor exam technique, this can also be addressed. If the teaching at school is poorer than it should be, then extra revision guides may be appropriate.

In any case, she will have done well to have got AS results, so should be congratulated, even if they are slightly lower than she had hoped!

bigbluebus Thu 06-Aug-15 16:16:30

DS had a pretty disappointing AS results day last year. He stropped and sulked for the day - all the time knowing that it was all down to his lack of hard work rather than potential ability. The following day, once he had calmed down, we sat down with him a helped him work out a plan re whether to re-sit whole year or just some modules and look at which Unis he might potentially get into given that his predicted grades would be a lot lower than he had hoped. He certainly didn't get any gifts to make up for his disappointment - just a sympathetic ear and the offer of help to move forward.

We are now awaiting A level results and I am trying not to get too stressed about it, as if he doesn't get what he needs, we will just repeat last year's process and look at alternative options - although time pressures will be much greater this year. I will be at home on results day and the following day and DH will be off for the 2 weeks after that so we can help out where needed. DS certainly worked harder this year than last although whether it is enough only next week will tell. Many of his friends also did worse in AS than they anticipated so hopefully they got the wake up call they needed.

stareatthetvscreen Thu 06-Aug-15 16:20:02

don't feed the drama - it is what it is

a result and not the end of the world smile

make a plan and move forward

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now