Talk

Advanced search

13yo DD wants acrylic nails...?!

(19 Posts)
PingPongBat Sat 01-Aug-15 21:47:21

DD (13) has just said she wants to get acrylic nails "for our holiday". Not having any experience of such things (I barely have time to file my nails, let alone apply nail varnish or go to a salon) I did some googling....

...hmm. Ok. So they are permanent. And they have to be removed professionally. Or you have to 'infill' them. And it's £28, at a salon I've never heard of. I'm not liking this idea at all.

I'd be happy for her to have a manicure / file and polish etc, but false nails? Bracing myself for the sulks when I tell her I'm not going to allow it. Sigh. AIBU?

(I know this isn't the AIBU board, but I'm afraid to go there confused)

ClaimedByMe Sat 01-Aug-15 21:52:39

My dd 12 gets gel nails done, my sister does them for her as shes quite good at it but you can get them done at a salon, they last a couple of weeks and sort of fall off when they are ready or you can take them off with something I barely have time to file mine either They arent long though its just on top of her on nails, but she gets pretty colours and gems/stickers put on too!

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sat 01-Aug-15 21:53:26

I think I'd let my 13yr old have a gelish/shellac manicure for a holiday but not acrylics or any form of extension.

That should involve a file and shape and then a polish set with a uv light. Lasts roughly two weeks and is about £20 another £5/8 to remove on return.

PingPongBat Sat 01-Aug-15 21:55:28

So are gel nails less 'permanent' than acrylic?

I'm worried about the damage to her nails, and the cost!

ClaimedByMe Sat 01-Aug-15 21:57:45

Yeah, dds fell off she picked them and they haven't damaged her nails.

Acetone is what you need to remove them.

SacredHeart Sat 01-Aug-15 21:59:03

All coverings of your nails damage them. Nail varnish the least, gels more so and acrylic the worst.

I had never had gels or acrylics until a few years ago. I've always had long strong nails and broke my nail just before a big do. I decided to go get acrylics from my friends salon, my nails were soft, the nail beds became sore and they thinned (due to filing). I would never have it again and would definitely not put it on a child, personally.

MrsRonBurgundy Sat 01-Aug-15 22:03:48

I used to have acrylics and they TRASHED my natural nails underneath - took a good couple of months for them to get strong and healthy again.
I have shellac now which look nice and glossy and last 2 weeks without chipping.

PingPongBat Sat 01-Aug-15 22:07:35

So what happens after the 2 weeks with shellac, MrsRon? Do you remove them yourself or do you have to go back to a salon?

MrsRonBurgundy Sat 01-Aug-15 22:12:21

I pick them off because I'm a wrongun and find it truly satisfying. I have a nice hot bath and they start to lift up around edges and peel off. Nails look a bit dry then but I put some strengthening base coat on and then they're sorted. Nice and long and strong!
But my salon will soak them off if you prefer, think it's about a fiver

PingPongBat Sat 01-Aug-15 22:16:33

Thanks smile

I'm starting to see a possible compromise solution... now I just need to find out whether we have any good local salons which do shellac.

dlwelly Sat 01-Aug-15 22:17:13

I'd advise against acrylics - they ruined my nails too and where she's so young it wouldn't be nice for her.

Shellac you can take off at home or pick off once it's been on for 2-3 weeks (not recommended but won't do too much damage - not as much as acrylics!)

Shellac won't give her any extra length though, will just look like normal polish but last for 2-3 weeks. She might want acrylics for the length. If that is the case I'm sure that bio-sculpture can be used to give some length and goes on similar to shellac (so hopefully less damage than the acrylics)

dlwelly Sat 01-Aug-15 22:19:35

Shellac is just one brand of UV gel too (but the most well known, a bit like when you say Hoover!) so look out for places that also do gelish, Jessica geleration and opi gel (or similar, not sure of the exact name) - they're all the same!

PingPongBat Sat 01-Aug-15 22:25:09

That's really helpful thank you - I've seen places mention gelish and opi and I had no idea what they were! I don't think she wants long nails, just a long lasting, professional looking manicure.

HelpMeGetOutOfHere Sun 02-Aug-15 09:28:28

I would definitely let her then. I alway have my gel nails soaked off, usually gelish as that's what the salon I go to uses. I just find it more pleasant than picking them off which I'm sure can't be good for your nails.

Dd is 9 but she's just had her nails painted for our holiday. Just with normal polish but it's part of my routine and I have gel nails so it's a little treat for her. She likes her pretty nails and feels grown up.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Sun 02-Aug-15 09:31:30

I had crap nails. Thin. Broke. Etc. had acrylics which they took off after a couple of months of Infills last week. I'd been warned how bad they'd be.

oh my god. I've never had long natural nails in my life. They look amazing. Two were snapped so she put tips on them and redid them with powder stuff. (Nexgen)

So don't believe all the stuff about trashing. Plus who cares? If you have acrylics on who cares what they're like underneath.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Sun 02-Aug-15 09:32:36

Plus op. If she wants them make her pay!

SycamoreMum Sun 02-Aug-15 09:37:19

I think it really depends on the condition of your nails before you get acrylics and where you get them done. I wore them for nearly ten years and they're as strong as they always were (only wore acrylics to keep my hands presentable due to work)

In the case of your daughter I think shes too young for those acrylics and like others suggested a shellac treatment would be better but be warned they don't always last weeks. Also take her to a good nail shop not nail bar. smile

PingPongBat Sun 02-Aug-15 13:17:17

After an initial sulk... and later an apology for sulking shock she's accepted the fact that I won't let her have acrylics - I'm too concerned about the chemicals and the potential damage involved. We've got a nail salon in town which is always busy so I'll have a look in there tomorrow to see what sort of shellac / gelish stuff they do.

Thanks for all your thoughts. Bringing up a teenage daughter is always full of surprises and decisions that I've never come across before, MN is a good sounding board!

UseHerName Sun 02-Aug-15 13:19:34

What about sensationail from boots?if u got it on offer she could do her own and maybe yours too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now