Talk

Advanced search

Does all this conflict have a long term impact upon your relationships?

(10 Posts)
slippersmum Mon 27-Jul-15 20:01:33

Just wondering really. I have a very fraught relationship with my dd and of course I love her but I do spend alot of my time avoiding her as I know there will just be conflict. Its made me feel very anxious and I have started taking some anti anxiety medication to help. Is this a phase or will these years linger with me? Some mornings I wake up with a feeling of dread about what lies ahead. Maybe its just me?

AnthonyPandy Mon 27-Jul-15 20:34:04

I'd like to know the answer to this too. Depressing, isn't it?

slippersmum Mon 27-Jul-15 21:23:05

It certainly is!!

scatterthenuns Tue 04-Aug-15 21:48:12

There is no answer.. just as you don't get on with all the people you meet, there is no guarantee of a friendship with your adult DCs. Sad, but true. Hundreds of posts on here about MNrs with distant/poor relationships with their parents.

Do you have any shared interests you could bond over to improve your relationship?

hesterton Tue 04-Aug-15 21:51:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrsjayy Wed 05-Aug-15 11:06:36

My eldest is 22 and she was a moody mare as a teenager walked on constant eggshells around her we get on great now i said to her recently god you were a suly bugger at 15 she said i was just mysterious hmm hang in there it takes time but you get there. Dd2 is a different personality and never really had any fallouts with her

Mrsjayy Wed 05-Aug-15 11:11:24

I meant sulky anyway i used to say things like Im not sure why you spoke to me like that or i dont speak to you in that way not sure i deserve your lip it sort of stopped her and made her think till the next time obviously but it difussed a lot.

YeOldeTrout Wed 05-Aug-15 11:13:59

You have to work hard to enjoy the good moments even though they drive you so crazy much of the rest of the time.

Mrsjayy Wed 05-Aug-15 11:22:05

Thing is whatever you do will never please them they will always find something to be annoyed /angry about I stopped trying for a while

sillygiraffe Wed 05-Aug-15 18:38:04

I have a very odd relationship with dd at the moment. We are trying to be polite to each other but I feel like I am treading on eggshells and have to think carefully about everything I say so I don't "offend" her and start another strop. At least I am in good company here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: