Talk

Advanced search

Teenage Mental Health

(6 Posts)
scmo7 Mon 27-Jul-15 15:22:48

It has been suggested our barley 15 year old daughter may have narsissistic personality disorder (ticking all boxes and online testing says and average is 15 points, film starts 18-20 points, our child 31 points). Do they give such diagnosis for teens? Should I even try?

Lucyneedspeace Mon 27-Jul-15 17:08:19

I have heard the teenage brain can be compared to a brain of someone with a personality disorder. What is it she does which is concerning? Is she under CAMHS?

MagpieCursedTea Mon 27-Jul-15 17:20:51

I'd be wary of saddling someone so young with what could be a damaging label. Instead I'd look at what difficulties they're having and how they can be supported.

Gymbob Mon 27-Jul-15 20:21:23

just done the test. I reckon my dd scored 36, so very high. Symptoms of the disorder include, feelings of entitlement, lack of empathy, arrogant, self importance, exploitative etc. My dd fits the lot, so I think she has it too! but for now, I'll just call her a horror teen, and look at it again when she's 18grin

scmo7 Mon 27-Jul-15 21:05:30

having fostered over 70 teens myself I am witnessing some pretty extreme behaviour and a girl on the way to not just self destruction. And a lot of 'professional' adults wanting to look in any direction but ones that seem to be helping her.

Lucyneedspeace Mon 27-Jul-15 21:16:01

Where is this test?! I'm curious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now