Talk

Advanced search

Army cadets annual camp

(15 Posts)
Delilahfandango Thu 23-Jul-15 20:07:17

Does anyone have a DC going to annual camp this year? It's first time for DS and I wondered if anyone has any tips or advice. I have a kit list but I'm not sure what else to send as it says that it is the minimum they should take. Trying to get DS to find anything out is nigh on impossible!! Any experience greatly received!

BackforGood Fri 24-Jul-15 00:10:44

My dc don't go to Army cadets, but have managed around 350 nights away with Scouts between them if that's any help.

Generally speaking they will only need what is on the kit list.
It's important they can carry their own kit and don't want to be loaded down with unnecessary stuff.
Make sure they pack their own kit and know where everything is.
Make sure everything is in waterproof bags inside the rucksack/holdall.

From the little I know about cadets, doesn't it start at 14 or so? So they won't be expecting people to have lots of years of previous experience - don't they have a parents meeting or anything first?

ScrambledEggAndToast Fri 24-Jul-15 06:54:56

I was an Army Cadet. Only take what's on the kit list, they won't need loads of extras. You can always speak to the Sergeant if you're unsure.

headlesslambrini Fri 24-Jul-15 07:26:53

Both of mine are going this year, 2 glorious child free weeks heading my way grin. Does he have a bergin (sp?) To put it all in? If not then get a 2nd hand one from your local army store, they will use these when sleeping out and on the expeditions. Apparently my two are doing a week of army stuff and a week of watersports so possibly an extra towel, old trainers but basically the kit list, dont pack too many civvies as they tend to stay in camo's in the evening in the naffi

Delilahfandango Fri 24-Jul-15 19:27:10

Thanks all! Back - he's 12, 13 in 3 weeks.
Scrambled - speaking to the sergeant is nearly impossible - his group is based in an army camp and getting access is difficult!
Headless - 2 weeks! Wow! His is just a week. He has a standard issue Bergen that has been ok for weekends and even then I've spotted other cadets turning up with extra bags - girls mostlygrin I would have thought they'd wear uniform most of the time. Thanks again for your responses - appreciatedsmile

Lolimax Fri 24-Jul-15 19:37:02

Yes! Mother of cadet here. It's DS's 6th and last annual camp this year (gutted) and he's off to Romania with the cadets on Monday and I'm slightly panicking. The list is usually fairly comprehensive, I always give a bit of cash for NAAFI and when they're allowed out. DS says to take smart and chilling civvies, something like a pack of cards, a mobile and charger. Don't worry too much. Swimming kit and 2 towels. Let me know if you need any more info.

Delilahfandango Sat 25-Jul-15 07:23:55

Thanks Lolimax -no mobiles allowed! Pack of cards sounds like a good idea! I'd be panicking at Romania - mines going to Tenby and that's bad enough!! How much cash do you reckon?

Lolimax Sat 25-Jul-15 08:14:55

No mobiles? Bit mean sad Tenby is lovely but I'm Welsh and biased! Is it just a week? I'd say £20 if that's not too much but maybe broken down into change. Or given him less and stock him up with lots of sweets and stuff. Yes I'm trying hard to be cool. He'll be working with the real Roma families who have nothing so I'm trying to prepare him for the poverty (and probably the animal cruelty) he'll see. But at 17 he's ready to see there's life beyond the Xbox. He's a great kid and I can recommend the cadets for what it's given him. Good luck to you!

Delilahfandango Sun 26-Jul-15 21:49:45

Thanks Lolimax - we are in Dorset, so Tenby is quite a trek from here! We have a very long letter as to why mobiles are not allowed! It's quite interesting to know that there are different rules applied! I would imagine your DS is going to have his eyes opened in Romania! Although, no bad thing! I'll go for about £20 and a few "supplies" DD is back off to her university city the same week, so we are going to have a few days with no kids at home - looking forward to it and dreading it at the same timeconfused - thank you again, really do appreciate some imput - I don't really know the other parents involved with cadets - it all seems a bit of a "secret" circle! Hope your boy enjoys his trip!

Jeeves93 Mon 27-Jul-15 16:30:10

We usually say 1 x bergen and a small holdall for luggage, that should be enough. To be honest, Army camps all have one thing in common: mobile reception is usually terrible, so even if he did take a mobile it probably wouldn't be much use. No real need to buy anything extra, but to be honest an extra pair of combat trousers wouldn't go amiss - they can be had for around a tenner on ebay. Cadets only get issued 2 and it having a 3rd pair just makes things easier.

GnomeDePlume Tue 28-Jul-15 00:38:06

Another parent of cadet here. If you still have a few days see if you can get some Stikins labels:

Www.name-labels.com

I discovered these last year and used them to label every single piece of kit DS took with him. Remember that they are all in identical kit.

GnomeDePlume Tue 28-Jul-15 06:38:37

Sorry, back again. I second the comment about an extra pair of trousers. Also, if funds stretch to it then a couple more under shirts would also be useful as this is what they will be wearing all week.

Even if you cant get the Stikins labels, do get a laundry marker and put your DS' name on all kit including the bergen.

Delilahfandango Wed 29-Jul-15 08:18:04

Gnome - good point about kit labelling!! Think we will be making a trip to army surplus shop tomorrowgrin thanks all for your contributions - some really helpful advice!

lalsy Fri 31-Jul-15 13:35:39

Parent of two dc cadets here. They usually take the Bergen with all their proper kit in and anything they need to the expedition (if they are doing one). And perhaps a small wheelie suitcase with civvies/books/anything they might want at the camp. Don't worry, they do sort it out themselves after the first time and it all remains mysterious! They borrow and improvise where necessary. The most important things (apart from issued kit) seem to be a vast sweet supply and a red torch (for night exercises). If they are doing a long walk then take vaseline.

I agree the kit lists are usually very comprehensive - if they need extra trainers for water sports, they say so IME. My two have loved the camps (RAF and Army), some of the best things they have ever done. I know it all seems odd, but it does seem to work.

Delilahfandango Sat 01-Aug-15 09:30:22

Well he's gone! I think we got everything packed - 1 Bergen, 1 holdall and 1 day rucksack! He found a much more comprehensive list on the detachments FB page! Lalsy - he's got a decent stash of sweets and biscuitsgrin thanks again for all your inputflowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now