Talk

Advanced search

Will DD continue to have very light periods?

(5 Posts)
starfish4 Wed 22-Jul-15 10:13:41

DD started periods 10 months ago and is fairly regular - 24-30 day cycle. However, they are very light. She uses 2-3 Lillets teen pads a day, they are nowhere near fully used so to be honest she could get away with panty liners. She's not having any problems with her periods, and to be honest I'm glad they are light as it saves accidents and feeling too grotty.

Are they likely to get heavier? Do some girls or women just have very light periods?

OneStepOneStumble Wed 22-Jul-15 13:11:45

Some women just naturally have very light periods! Though it is hard to say as when just starting out periods go through a bit of changeability (i.e. they may not stay regular or may be heavy sometimes and light others) BUT if she's already regular, she may just be one of those women who are light.

Do you have light periods?

happygirl87 Wed 22-Jul-15 13:20:16

Some women do have v v light periods- there are threads on here about women who are homeless/in poverty not having access to sanpro, and there are always posters talking about how they are so light they hardly need to use it! However, I started my periods at 10 and was always regular, but started to get heavier flow in my 20s.

vvviola Wed 22-Jul-15 13:25:54

Mine were relatively light initially (started at 11) but got much heavier later (15 - 20 was a really tough time, I missed at least 1 day per month of school/uni and tried many different medications - it was only after a university doctor prescribed what would have been an overdose of paracetamol that my home doctor agreed to put me on the pill, which sorted them out)

So certainly they can get heavier.

That said I had many friends who just didn't get it, as theirs had started light and regular and stayed that way.

I'm not sure if you can predict what will happen tbh. Unless there is a genetic component? (Am adopted so no comparisons available to me, and DM was utterly bewildered by my heavy periods as hers were very light)

starfish4 Thu 23-Jul-15 07:59:28

Thanks everyone for replying. Mine were the opposite for the first few years and very heavy - couldn't go an hour sometimes without changing and I regularly had blood stained clothes at school, so I think that's my main concern that they will change for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now