Talk

Advanced search

Anyone's teen starting NCS next week?

(20 Posts)
SasherinSuite Fri 17-Jul-15 11:31:58

DS is off to his activity week on Monday. I need to ring him in a bit to make sure he's packed his bag so he can take it down to the bag drop off at 3.30!

Gymbob Fri 17-Jul-15 12:17:36

yep, mine go this Sunday and next Sunday for 2 weeks.

you have to ring him? presume you're at work.

have a good week smile

GaryBaldy Fri 17-Jul-15 15:28:48

There is a bag drop off? Didn't know about that. I'm hoping that it's different for us.

OhNoNotMyBaby Fri 17-Jul-15 15:34:53

My DD's finished yesterday and she left in floods of tears having had the most amazing time and made a lot of lovely new friends.

She is very flat today - missing everyone.

Good luck to all who are about to go - actually scrub that - you don't need luck at all. Just enjoy!

Oblique27 Fri 17-Jul-15 15:43:52

DS starts his next week, no bag drop for us.....but thanks for encouraging news from those who have done it smile

BackforGood Fri 17-Jul-15 18:26:28

Don't panic Gary - both my dcs have taken their bags with them smile

GnomeDePlume Fri 17-Jul-15 23:10:19

DS is off in a couple of weeks. I am hoping he will enjoy it as he isnt normally a great joiner.

SasherinSuite Sat 18-Jul-15 10:10:47

DS got to the bag drop okay but only after calling a taxi to take him the 1 mile ��It cost him £3! He's off to South Yorkshire. He says he regrets signing up but I'm hoping he'll have a great time once he's there.

BackforGood Sat 18-Jul-15 16:21:10

Flipping heck - why didn't he walk??
If he needs a taxi to travel a mile, then how's he going to do the hike / overnight camp? confused

wohmum Sat 18-Jul-15 23:12:13

Mine has just done the 1st 2 weeks and has had a fab time!

ssd Sat 18-Jul-15 23:15:54

whats NCS?

Madlizzy Sat 18-Jul-15 23:17:17

One of mine starts on Monday. He's really looking forward to it.

BackforGood Sat 18-Jul-15 23:25:17

ssd

National Citizenship Service.

It's where the Government redirected a fraction of the money it's taken away from all the other work the Youth Service used to do.

It's a great experience for post GCSE teens, although I think when it's been talked about on here before, it's not available across the whole country (???).

ssd Sat 18-Jul-15 23:27:46

It sounds very interesting but it's not available where I live. Great idea though.

BackforGood Sat 18-Jul-15 23:57:04

I think they focus the resources on those of us that have dc that would otherwise - if they didn't put this on - obviously be out rioting in the streets all Summer wink

ArabellaRockerfella Mon 20-Jul-15 17:27:42

Best thing my daughter did last year. She became so much more confident and really seemed to grow up. She learnt new skills and really pushed herself to do tasks/activities outside of her comfort zone and feels proud of what she achieved. She is eager to be a leader/mentor in a few years. I would recommend it to anyone if they have the opportunity.

Gymbob Tue 21-Jul-15 00:04:13

and its so cheap, I couldn't believe it!

NewsreaderChic Tue 21-Jul-15 00:08:37

Mines going in a couple of weeks, she's very shy and not sporty so not that happy that DH signed her up. I'm hoping she'll have a great time.

MEgirl Thu 23-Jul-15 11:44:23

Mine DTs go in a couple of weeks and are really looking forward to it. The first week they are taken by coach but the second week they have to make their own way to the location on the Underground. It's a good experience for them.

bigdonna Thu 23-Jul-15 16:39:05

my dd goes on the 28th to doncaster anyone else in the north shes really looking forward to it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now