Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dreadfully shy teenager

(3 Posts)
00100001 Wed 15-Jul-15 07:37:51

Hello I have a Teen acquaintance (girl 17) who is lovely, helpful, kind, volunteers at kids clubs, plays music, dances, bright, funny and all good things.

But when in the company of new people/situations is dreadfully shy. She walls around with startled deer eyes and will not speak to anyone, and it is sometimes a battle to her places in the first place.

Is there anything I can do to help her? I am worried that it will hold her back, as she has a lot to offer, but if you met her, you'd think she was just an inarticulate grunting teenager, bordering on rude sad

cdtaylornats Wed 15-Jul-15 22:06:35

Perhaps you could try new people in a familiar place?

Get someone new to ask her about something she is passionate about.

OccamsLadyshave Thu 16-Jul-15 20:50:44

I was exactly like this at that age. My DD has been like this too as a preteen although she is a bit better now.

My view is to leave her be, and if other people think she's rude that's their problem. It's easier said than done, but encouraging / forcing her out of it is likely to be counter-productive.

I got better in my early 20's when I started working and I had to talk to customers. Now if I'm anxious I just pretend I'm at work!

Also alcohol helps! (irresponsible!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now