Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for 14yo dd for the summer holidays?

(10 Posts)
ZaZathecat Mon 13-Jul-15 15:51:45

Apart from seeing friends sometimes, dd will mostly be glued to Youtube. She even knows herself that it's no good for her so looking for ideas for activities, maybe group ones but not sport - she just isn't keen or at all competitive. She likes music but doesn't like performing, and is very interested in making videos/animation.
Are there any kind of clubs that cater for those sort of interests?
TIA

brightsparkzarts Mon 13-Jul-15 16:38:28

Hello!

Have you seen the summer arts project with film and photography at Z-arts in Hulme? I know the artist running it and she is fabulous. It's on next week every day from 10.30-3.30pm.

The website isn't great but here's the link www.z-arts.org/events/home-hulme-vs-brooklyn/

ZaZathecat Mon 13-Jul-15 16:44:41

Sounds good bright but we're in NW Kent so Manchester is not an option.

cdtaylornats Tue 14-Jul-15 10:46:03

Get her to make a film of the local area, she could go out and film scenes, then locate pictures or films on the internet and cut them together showing historical changes, if there is a local historical society she could get info there. Once it's done she can upload to YouTube.

cdtaylornats Tue 14-Jul-15 10:51:00

I don't know the geography of Kent, but there is an amatuer film club in Orpington www.ovfm.org.uk

slug Tue 14-Jul-15 12:06:51

Is she capable of taking the train to Waterloo?

ZaZathecat Tue 14-Jul-15 12:41:47

Thanks for the ideas, I will have a look at them.

Maryz Tue 14-Jul-15 12:44:52

If she's on the computer all the time get her to learn basic coding

Everything in the future will be computer based, especially a lot of music and art/films etc, so knowing basic coding is a good background to have.

Some local gyms have teenage fitness/gym classes.

If she's like my teenagers she will sleep a lot. Yours only have 6 weeks or so off, mine have three months [sigh]

ZaZathecat Tue 14-Jul-15 19:20:59

I will suggest that Maryz, thanks.

FurtherSupport Tue 14-Jul-15 19:30:40

My completely non-sporty, non-active 14yo has really taken to Green Bunch, which is a conservation work party for 12-18yos run by the Local wildlife Trust. I believe they have them at most of their reserves.

The local library will be looking for volunteers for their summer reading thing - not very exciting but something for her CV and will get her away from the screens for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now