Talk

Advanced search

Default setting "Singularly Unimpressed"

(17 Posts)
LindyHemming Thu 09-Jul-15 03:52:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklingbrook Thu 09-Jul-15 06:21:38

I hear you. DS2 had a chance of going to Paris with school next year. He declined as he didn't think it would be that great. He didnt fancy the long coach trip and was worried about the food. Disneyland was part of the itinerary too. sad

cdtaylornats Thu 09-Jul-15 08:54:47

I sympathise I've been to Paris, it's a typical capital city, full of overpriced everything. The food spectacularly fails to live up to the hype. I much prefer Brussels or Amsterdam if I have to go to a capital. Why would any 13 year old want to go to the Eiffel tower? A large pile of old metal that was an interesting engineering challenge when built but this is the 21st century, it isn't even pretty.

Sparklingbrook Thu 09-Jul-15 09:03:25

I think going up the Eiffel Tower is one of those tick off the list of life things. I have been there, done it and now never have to go again, same as Disneyland. grin

LindyHemming Thu 09-Jul-15 09:12:53

TeenAndTween Thu 09-Jul-15 10:21:59

We took our DDs there last year, age 15 and 9. They loved it! We did 4 days in Paris, going round on the metro and doing the tourist stuff, Eiffel Tower, Bateau Mouche, Louvre, Montmartre, followed by 4 days DLP. We all preferred Paris to DLP I think. DD1 had already been with the school in y7, but was delighted to go again.

That must be so disappointing for you OP . I think I would have been quite irritated too. (Though ours haven't been to Florida so they couldn't compare DLP with it).

We've been lucky with DD1, she is still really enthusiastic about going interesting places. I so hope DD2 follows her in this, as I think a teen who says 'boring' to everything must be very hard work.

JustDanceAddict Thu 09-Jul-15 11:40:27

I would've been very annoyed by that. Maybe it would've been easier to give more 'structure' to the trip as a 13 year old doesn't really know much about Paris really, only the tower. There is a lot to see, I have been many times. Monmatre, Marais area are places I would take a teen, even outside the Louvre they have great fountains.

Whathaveilost Thu 09-Jul-15 11:56:25

I agree with your DD.
I find Paris overawed and I have never really enjoyed it.

saoirse31 Thu 09-Jul-15 19:43:57

At 13 I'd have had planned itinerary.

LindyHemming Thu 09-Jul-15 20:15:43

SunshineAndShadows Thu 09-Jul-15 20:23:59

Fed go to monmartre and the sacre cour - a 13 yr old will like those!

AliceInSandwichLand Thu 09-Jul-15 21:23:06

What about the catacombs? Surely she would be impressed by underground caves full of thousands of skulls arranged in patterns?
I took my DD to Paris when she was 14. We had a HUGE row (about orthodontic treatment) in the lift half way up the Eiffel Tower. I was crying. We could see who else in the lift spoke English because they were obviously enjoying our scene. At the time I thought it was a complete waste of a weekend. However, DD is now 20, studying several languages at uni including French, and is at this very moment off on a summer job working at a bilingual call centre in France, and she looks back to that weekend in Paris as the turning point that made her interested in languages (though exchange trips were what sealed the deal). So don't despair, it may be more worthwhile than you think at the moment ;)

saoirse31 Thu 09-Jul-15 22:09:55

Sorry op... I meant as a parent taking 13 yr old I'd have had a planned itinerary!!!!!!

LindyHemming Fri 10-Jul-15 08:32:21

mellicauli Tue 14-Jul-15 17:26:23

If i was in Paris with a 13 year old, I'd give the old buildings a miss and check out random things happening at Les Berges

Timetogetup0630 Fri 17-Jul-15 18:26:59

Just accept the fact that anything you suggest will be lame and boring, and probably will be for the next three or four years.
Mine even deemed New York to be boring. But he has been there several times since we lived in the USA for a while.
confused

LindyHemming Fri 17-Jul-15 19:20:06

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now