Talk

Advanced search

Sea cadets, does your teen go? Ds2 has social anxiety and wonder if it may help him?

(7 Posts)
FreakinScaryCaaw Wed 08-Jul-15 19:24:20

Ds2 is almost 15 and very shy.

He has a hobby he goes to weekly and mixes well there.

He has dreadful social anxiety in other situations. I'm in touch with cahms to see if he can get some help? He has an appointment next week. He's keen to get help too.

There's a sea cadet group nearby and I wondered if he may benefit from going? He said he'll take a look which surprised me smile The secretary said to pop in next week.

Does anyone have experience of sea cadets? Or teens with social anxiety?

JeanSeberg Wed 08-Jul-15 19:30:43

My son goes to air cadets, he's 17 now and been going for almost two years.

He doesn't suffer from anxiety but it has really increased his confidence etc. The other members and staff are so friendly and welcoming. There's always something going on but you can do as much or as little as you like.

Be great if he went for a taster session to see what he thinks.

(And I'm assuming air and sea cadets are similar organisations!)

gonegrey56 Wed 08-Jul-15 19:32:40

I would heartily recommend this for your ds. I am sure he would benefit enormously, and also find it fun and challenging (in a positive sense).

FreakinScaryCaaw Wed 08-Jul-15 20:17:47

Thanks for the replies.

Ds1 went to air cadets but didn't last long. He's so different to ds2 though and he reckons ds2 would enjoy it? Plus it's held just around the corner from where we live. I'll have to give up my regular dance class if ds1 goes to sea cadets. But it'd be worth it.

I hope he agrees to go regularly to one of them?

YeOldTrout Wed 08-Jul-15 20:36:56

Sea cadets is a bit different from the other cadet forces because it isn't sponsored by any particular real branch of HM Gov. So I think SC are broader age ranges & have a bit different outlook, less militaristic maybe.

GaryBaldy Wed 08-Jul-15 20:40:18

DS has ASD and very socially anxious, he suspended his cadet membership just before his GCSEs to focus on them, but he absolutely loved it.

I guess it varies from unit to unit but they have really robust inclusion policies and were brilliant with him.

FreakinScaryCaaw Wed 08-Jul-15 23:13:11

Thanks.

I know he'll enjoy it as long as he can jump the first hurdle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now