Periods

(14 Posts)
green18 Thu 02-Jul-15 22:16:31

My DD is 14 and 9 months and hasn't started her period yet. I started age 13. She is 5ft 4 and a size 8, not sure of weight but def over 7 stone. She started with pubic hair a the age of 9 and has developed small breasts over the last couple of years. The thing is she is a September child so i thought she'd be amongst the first in her class but she says she and only one other haven't started. She isn't worried but it crosses my mind now and again. should I worry?

ifonly4 Fri 03-Jul-15 09:05:57

I get why you're concerned but do remember they start at different ages. My DD's friend is 14 and apparently has no signs of puberty yet, but is a healthy, happy girl. Not sure how often she goes to the doctor, but you could raise it next time.

I'm not sure how much weight has to do with it (other than if you're cutting back on essentials vitamins to stay slim) - my DD petite (takes after my Mum) and started when she weighed less than 6st (still is less than 6st and I can't fatten her up).

aginghippy Fri 03-Jul-15 10:32:26

Weight does have something to do with it. If you are under a certain weight (I forget what it is now) you won't have periods. That's not the only factor, though.

At 14, it really isn't anything to worry about OP. Well within the normal range. My dd was like yours, pubic hair at 9 or so, but didn't start periods until she was over 15.

You can relax - at least about this wink

GinUpGirl Sat 04-Jul-15 16:35:35

I remember reading that up until 16 there is nothing to worry about, or so a doctor will tell you. I'd take her to the doctor in about a year if nothing had kicked in yet.

GinUpGirl Sat 04-Jul-15 16:36:14

Also my best friend didn't start until 16 and she is the most curvaceous, buxomy, womany woman I've ever seen.

Trufflethewuffle Sat 04-Jul-15 18:40:57

My DD started hers almost a year ago when she was 12 and four months. at the time she weighed less than 5 stone and is only just over that now.

As she put it: "why me? I haven't got boobs or fur yet!" She still hasn't. The point I'm making is that they need to be developed to the right stage for them, individually.

If you are concerned, check with the doctor but the chances are she is fine.

green18 Sun 05-Jul-15 15:35:19

Thanks so much, I guess I know all that you have said, it's just sometimes someone says ," Has she not started her periods yet?" and i get that same feeling i did at mums n tots when she wasn't walking by 12 months!! Crazy I know, should be over this by now but I suppose that worry never really leaves us mums! Thanks in particular aginghippy your daughter's story helps me relax!

greenflamingo Sun 05-Jul-15 23:09:41

Totally normal. We're both a similar size in my family but started at aged 15 and 17. Both entirely healthy and gone on to have children. Don't worry!

BackforGood Sun 05-Jul-15 23:23:14

She's not 15 yet! Totally within a normal range of ages to start.

The thing is she is a September child so i thought she'd be amongst the first in her class but she says she and only one other haven't started

Really? Am pretty amazed that this is seemingly common knowledge / something they sit round discussing / something that you know about other girls in her class confused

green18 Mon 13-Jul-15 17:39:06

Yes Backforgood that's what dd tells me anyway! Of course they could be pretending to appear more grown up...

Sundance2741 Tue 14-Jul-15 20:12:59

When I was at school a girl I knew hadn't started going through puberty at the end of year 11 and looked like a little girl. Over the summer holidays she suddenly grew into a woman.

YummyMummy9669 Sun 19-Jul-15 14:59:39

This isn't a problem, it's natural. If I was your daughter I would be humiliated if I saw that this was online brew

YeOldTrout Sun 19-Jul-15 20:05:46

I'm not surprised the girls share this. I find DD & her mates quite a confident crew who don't see any shame in sharing this type of info with mates.

DD knows periods are a hassle, she's in no rush.

green18 Mon 20-Jul-15 19:25:05

yummy this is MUMSnet, my daughter will not see it. Mums ask advice on this forum or did you not know that?? Thanks to all others for your reassurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now