Talk

Advanced search

Help! Hosting teenage party tonight. Please tell me what to do our not do!

(29 Posts)
Strawberriesfortea Wed 24-Jun-15 11:01:55

DSD is 18 tomorrow and we've agreed to let her host a party to celebrate tonight. But she's our eldest child and we've not done this before. Am feeling rather nervous confused

We've agreed to buying some alcohol, but no spirits, and they've been told not to bring spirits either. We'll be in the house ourselves.

But what wisdom can people give me? Tell me your experiences of teenage parties, what to do or not do.

3catsandcounting Wed 24-Jun-15 12:43:47

We've had 2 teen parties at home recently. First one was fine; second one they sneaked spirits in, and that's when it went a bit pear-shaped!
Girls crying, boys getting a bit aggressive, vomit on the bathroom floor, etc.
So, my advice;
State very clearly 'no spirits' - and if you find any, confiscate! Check hiding places, cupboards, washing machine, drier, oven, etc, for secret stashing.
Clear away any breakables, precious items, valuables, hide your bag.
Remove cushions, roll up rugs.
If you have a downstairs loo, cordon off your staircase with a rope and 'no entry' sign; this may not work! Buy loads of loo roll!
Try to limit the amount of rooms/
space you want them to access.
Provide bottled water and large French sticks and crisps to soak up alcohol (unless you're providing food anyway?)
Have bin bags, mop, bucket, rubber gloves, kitchen roll and towel handy.
Keep a local taxi number in your phone (esp for quick evictions!)
and have an 'end time' in mind.
DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE!!!!!
Apart from all these damage limitations, have fun. I invited a couple of friends round and we sat at the kitchen table with a bottle of wine. It was amazing and amusing to find many of the party-goers joined us!
I'm sure I'll think of more: watch this space!

Strawberriesfortea Wed 24-Jun-15 13:19:36

Thanks 3cats! That's all really useful. We do have a downstairs loo so DSD has now put a piece of string with no entry on the stairs. Will have a scout round fire valuables/breakables. Will keep an eye out for spirits. Have just helped DSD make "vodka" jelly shots that don't actually contain any vodka, so hopefully she's on board with not wanting any of her friends to get legglass. Am a little bit hmm about the drinking game she appears to have pinned to the kitchen wall though. Don't you need shots to play drinking games?

specialsubject Wed 24-Jun-15 13:33:50

provide food.

make sure it isn't on facebook.

hide all valuables/breakables.

remove doors from all accessible rooms to deter shaggers.

make sure garden is accessible for vomiting/smoking.

chuck out troublemakers at first incident.

fun fun fun....

CQ Wed 24-Jun-15 13:39:06

I actually saved a similar thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/teenagers/2199532-Has-anyone-else-had-a-house-party-for-teenagers as it's full of useful tips.

So far have managed to avoid it.

At least the weather's good - chuck 'em all outside in the garden.

Strawberriesfortea Wed 24-Jun-15 15:45:02

Thanks CQ that thread's really useful if not exactly reassuring

Not sure about removing the doors thoughshock

SecretSquirrels Wed 24-Jun-15 15:53:06

They will all bring booze so don't buy any. Lay on lots of soft drinks and non-messy food.
Make it as outdoors as possible, warn the neighbours, and
DO NOT GO OUT.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 24-Jun-15 15:58:16

They will bring their own booze, someone will try to shag someone else, someone uninvited will turn up! I would make your presence known at regular intervals tbh. My friend stayed in her room during her dd's house party and well lets just say certain rooms needed redecorating.

When it's time for them to leave please make sure that they don't just congregate in the street being loud and annoying to your neighbours in the early hours

wanderings Wed 24-Jun-15 16:06:26

Emergency strategy: be ready to switch off electricity if music etc. gets out of hand.

EE123 Wed 24-Jun-15 17:30:41

Lock the garage and cut off access to it.
If anyone brings a knapsack search it.
Agree about the Facebook page.

3catsandcounting Wed 24-Jun-15 18:52:20

Good luck tonight, Strawberries!
Do update us on how it went (a live update would be even better on an otherwise dull Wednesday evening!) ����

Coconutty Wed 24-Jun-15 18:57:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coconutty Wed 24-Jun-15 19:01:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bloodyteenagers Wed 24-Jun-15 19:15:34

Had a considerable amount of teen parties.
Don't go out.
Don't hide your presence.
Let your teen know the rules beforehand and that you mean it.
Tell them you are not confined to your room and if you decide to go into the kitchen for whatever you will.
First sign of a problem, toss them out.

Like I said had a fair amount. Not had any trouble aside from noise which I curbed.

Strawberriesfortea Wed 24-Jun-15 19:46:57

Thanks all, no we're definitely not going out. grin I am charged with casual non- obtrusive wondering around, calling DH over from the kitchen if needed. DH says he will serve the drinks.

They're due here in about half an hour....

DramaAlpaca Wed 24-Jun-15 19:50:11

Good luck OP.

DO NOT GO OUT!!!

grin

ImperialBlether Wed 24-Jun-15 19:56:35

Love the idea of your husband serving drinks and kids being told not to bring spirits. They will bring vodka and they will tip it into coke bottles if they have to. They don't usually like the taste of alcohol so have to have something tasteless with a bottle of something fizzy.

I've had four of these parties here - nobody was sick, they stayed in the garden mainly. One girl cried at every party because she loves the attention. Nobody had sex. No mess was made because the recycling bin was in the garden and they threw it all there.

Good luck!

nilbyname Wed 24-Jun-15 20:10:19

Sounds awesome and you'll be known as the cool parents!

3catsandcounting Wed 24-Jun-15 21:38:08

Yes Nilby- we're now known as the cool parents. (DD says "no, you're really not!") Oh yes we are!! ��☺️��

nilbyname Wed 24-Jun-15 21:58:38

grin

Strawberriesfortea Thu 25-Jun-15 08:25:14

We survived I guess! All in all not too bad. They seemed to stick to the no spirits rule and no one was sick. DH's drink serving efforts weren't really appreciated as they all just helped themselves or drank what they'd brought.

Funniest thing was later on - We'd put some branches on the trampoline to stop them using it, but I did find some girl lying on it at one point. Asked if she was OK and she clearly thought I was someone else and was gesturing for me to lie down with her confused She did appear to sober up a bit looking rather embarrased when she realised who I was and said she was fine grin

Was possibly a bit of dope smoking in the garden that I decided not to investigate , and one garden chair mysteriously broken, but otherwise they mostly sat around chatting and drinking (after eating everything grin)

Thanks for the advice. Keeping a clear presense definitely helped keep things under control. Now heading off to work and leaving DH and DSD to start on the clearing up....

CQ Thu 25-Jun-15 10:02:50

Phew, congratulations! You do realise she'll be wanting another one now?!

cdtaylornats Thu 25-Jun-15 10:57:41

A friend of mine runs a pub and he knew his 18 year old son would throw a party within hours of him going on holiday. The son got a surprise when he got home - a doorman from the pub was outside and one was there until he left to pick up his dad a week later. Bouncers are the answer.

hellsbells99 Thu 25-Jun-15 11:09:24

DD invited about 60 to hers! Several stayed over and cleared up in the morning. I invited another 2 couples whose daughters are close friends of DD and we were very visible - in the kitchen drinking champagne. I did cold basic food - crisps, dips, nuts, pizza and then also served chilli & rice at about 11.30. I told them finish time was 1am and we threw the last few out just before 1.30am. Only 1 was sick (in toilet/bucket) and we knew her well so could walk her home. 1 boy was worse for wear, so DH walked him home. Otherwise it did go very well. Get plastic cups (no glasses), put bins by back door for cans & bottles, cover any nice wood tables/fireplaces etc with tablecloths/dinner mats etc., put away ornaments/good stuff, and keep control of the music if it gets too loud. Have fun!

hellsbells99 Thu 25-Jun-15 11:10:24

Whoops sorry - just realised this was yesterday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now