Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for the best "manual" for teenagers?

(7 Posts)
SonorousBip Mon 22-Jun-15 09:39:50

I was having a bit of a nag/grumble at DS yesterday (he's 13, in Y8) and afterwards it struck me that I think part of it was me effectively complaining that he was not the biddable and helpful 10 year old of yesterday.

By comparison to his 10 year old self, he no longer tells his mum everything and generally likes to try and skulk as low below the radar as possible hmm. In the old days when I wanted him to help me with something we would have set jolly little competitive games, and he would have got very excited about winning a pasta piece for the pasta jar. smile

Are there any good books about the changes teenagers go through and how to change your expectations of them. I feel a bit adrift at the moment.

Any recommendations?

Sparklingbrook Mon 22-Jun-15 09:47:49

Get Out of my Life but First Take Me and Alex into Town is the one I have. Lots of familiar scenarios and tips for avoiding confrontation.

DramaAlpaca Mon 22-Jun-15 09:48:45

I second Sparkling's recommendation. Great book.

SonorousBip Mon 22-Jun-15 10:41:21

Thanks - I'd heard of that one and knew it had good feedback. will see if I can download it. smile

3catsandcounting Mon 22-Jun-15 11:35:29

I agree, this book's made me see things differently.
I also have Blame my Brain, and The Primal Teen. (2nd hand from Amazon, only paid a couple of pounds.) Both of these are good books but not as 'easy-reading' as Get out of my Life.

pasanda Mon 22-Jun-15 15:49:06

Definitely Get Out of my Life…

Brilliant book!

stevienickstophat Mon 22-Jun-15 15:50:14

Yep, I agree with PPs about 'Get Out'

Saved my sanity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now