Talk

Advanced search

What would I do...

(8 Posts)

if my teenage brother started cutting himself? How would I deal with this? Is there any way to let them know that I am there for them? How could I make them happy again?

NoahVale Sun 14-Jun-15 07:14:37

sorry to hear that sad

do your parents know?
can you tell someone, because you probalby need to,
is this the first time?

My parents don't know and frankly I don't think they would care. My brother has sworn me to secrecy and I am afraid to tell anyone anyhow. He has had problems before with depression and I guess he never got over it as he had been acting like he had for at least three years, starting from the day that I moved out of the house.

BackInTheRealWorld Sat 20-Jun-15 17:45:43

Is he still at school?

LakelandLassie Sat 20-Jun-15 20:46:26

Am so sorry to here that your brother (and you) are going through this. I found out a couple of weeks ago that my DD (15) has been self harming for several months. I had a phone call from her guidance teacher at school; one of my DDs friend had alerted them because they were worried about her. I thank God for that friend.
The Young Minds website has a great leaflet which you can download and they also have a free online and telephone helpline for Parents (and I guess siblings).
Please encourage him to seek help. Could you offer to go with him to the GP/ speak to someone at school? You cant make him happy but you can help him find some strategies to help when he is feeling so low.
Best of luck

He is still at school and thank you LakelandLassie for helping, though I don't know if I can do that. I'm afraid that if I ask someone for help he will be mad at me and I'm not sure that I can take that. I'm also afraid that if I don't he may end up hurting himself even more than he already has.

We had another episode last night. I've decided to tell someone about this. A counselor perhaps?

anthropology Tue 23-Jun-15 18:13:45

www.rethink.org/media/465853/Siblings%20Network%20Supporting%20your%20sibling%20if%20they%20self-harm.pdf. I hope this information is helpful from rethink. try to ask him who he might trust to talk to and explain that you wish to help him find other ways to cope but realise it may take time. . If you call the parents helpline at Young Minds, they can also give advice about talking to him/adults . If you know his school and trust that the counsellors will handle it sensitively and support him, talk to them . Its a positive thing that he is able to talk to you, and you sound like you are already being a support to him and I really hope he can be encouraged to find others to trust. I hope you have someone to talk to as well, as I know its really tough on siblings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now