Talk

Advanced search

Eating Disorder

(14 Posts)
wallplug789 Mon 08-Jun-15 11:19:09

Sorry, don't know if I'm at the right place, but didn't know where to start. To cut a long story short, here goes. 15 year old daughter, always slim, active and good fun. Periods not started. 10 days ago family relative, said that they thought she looked "gaunt". Took her to the doctor last week, her BMI was 17, she was 6st 6lb, borderline intervention (whatever that means). We've got 3 weeks for her to put weight on, which she's doing. (Yesterday 6st 10lb). Eating well, full fat milk etc. (In fairness she's always eaten like a horse, but doesn't eat fat). Yesterday, family BBQ, her distress about her eating is heartbreaking. She's having blood tests tomorrow, and 2nd appointment with the doctor in just over two weeks, she wants to bring it forward, because she's finding it too hard. I'm stuck, don't know where to go to which support groups to turn to. Any advice/help/direction? Thanks

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wallplug789 Mon 08-Jun-15 12:18:44

Thank you so much for your advice. At the moment, we've just been told she's got to start eating a more balanced diet, and we've got 3 weeks. The doctor said she was borderline. I'll have a look at the link.

wallplug789 Mon 08-Jun-15 12:30:40

We're in the UK.

wallplug789 Mon 08-Jun-15 12:31:52

We understood "intervention" to be inpatient, but now not sure.

wallplug789 Mon 08-Jun-15 12:42:07

Would she need to be referred to CAMHS?

ss412zx Mon 08-Jun-15 19:02:34

Weight related ED diagnosis is one of the most infuriating things.

I recommend Your Eatopia as a really good resource with just the right approach (not number based) - www.youreatopia.com/library

Dancingqueen17 Wed 10-Jun-15 09:12:53

lelia Wed 10-Jun-15 12:43:58

Hi , I was in the exact same place as you 18 months ago . Dd's BMI was 16 .We are not in UK and had weekly appt with GP, Dietician , and psychologist for around 6 months .
What made Dd start to eat again was the serious possibility of inpatient care .
Then followed 2-3 very traumatic months , both Dh and myself were off work for 4 weeks , she was off school . But she has made a complete recovery . Still not sure why it all happened in the first place You are doing all the right things.Quicker it is treated the better the recovery as someone said .
I can so relate to how heartbreaking it is for you to watch the panic on your dd 's face when she has to eat.
Thinking about you. xx .

wallplug789 Thu 11-Jun-15 09:26:27

Thank you Dancingqueen17 & Lelia, that's really helpful. To be honest, not sure how long it's been going on, perhaps 9 months or so??? But it's really cranked up since March. She was having an irregular heart beat, and passing out, so took her to to the doctor in February. She had an ECG, everything fine, they took her BMI then, and it was then it was 17 something. Since the end of February she's lost 8ib. The thing is, she does eat, but she doesn't eat fat, and we didn't realize she was exercising every day. Her periods haven't started yet, the doctor said he wanted to keep an eye on her until they started. Yes, I'm stressed, and trying really hard to be "normal". She's an inteligent girl, she didn't know she was harming herself. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now