Talk

Advanced search

A orthodonist at hospital?

(10 Posts)
Madmog Wed 03-Jun-15 09:40:53

If you're DC is under the orthodontist at the hospital, are you getting your appointments on time or have to wait?

Our second appointment due after a year was one month late, the second appointment was going to be at least two months overdue and DC had to have emergency appointment with a problem. Now the third appointment which was due in February hasn't even been sent out yet - they tell me they're behind at the moment!

DC has twin block braces right now, which need to go just to night-time wear before having metal braces - this is going to take far longer than the 18-24 months they originally told us at this rate.

TeenAndTween Wed 03-Jun-15 09:59:15

My DD's appointments were fine. She was seen at the hospital due to having impacted canines, and then had a standard brace for around 2 years. After the op, we just made each next appointment at the previous one.

The timelines they give are a guidelines anyway.

Though due in Feb but not yet sent out does seem a long way behind.

Trufflethewuffle Wed 03-Jun-15 13:34:08

DS was referred to the hospital orthodontist as the initial X-ray showed possible impacted tooth. It wasn't impacted and once that was established we had the option to go back to the orthodontist practice or continue at the hospital.

Do you have that option or are you still at the stage of needing the hospital orthodontist?

Trufflethewuffle Wed 03-Jun-15 13:36:17

Meant to say that we stayed with the hospital for treatment and once treatment commenced the appointments were made as the previous appointment ended. Are you able to do this or do they only send them out in the post?

Madmog Wed 03-Jun-15 14:11:53

Thanks for your replies. I think we'll have to stay with the hospital as DD had a massive gap between her upper and lower teeth - the twin block brace has really helped this, but her teeth will need a lot of adjustment as there are lots of gaps. Also, on her original xray an impacted tooth was shown growing upwards. They wanted to give it a reasonable amount of time to rectify itself, but she's now nearly 14 and there's no sign so we need to discuss.

She's under the lead consultant who is lovely, but it's so frustrating having to wait.

LIZS Wed 03-Jun-15 17:28:27

We go every 2 months-ish for ds's twin blocks.

GasLIghtShining Wed 03-Jun-15 22:36:39

My DS is under an orthodontist at our local hospital. Bar waiting for the first appointment and the appointment for his teeth to be extracted the next appointment are always made before we leave

Only a few months to go now (she says with fingers crossed!)

Madmog Thu 04-Jun-15 09:55:15

Thanks for your replies. Her appointments are meant to be every six months and they always tell me they only book appointments up to three months in advance. I'll leave it another couple of weeks and then I think I'll contact the hospital as I'm sure there must be certain guidelines for how long appointments should go over.

Mrsjayy Fri 05-Jun-15 09:35:09

Took a while to get an initial appointmen but after that they were great appointments like clockwork i think I would bè chasing them up

Hepzibar Fri 05-Jun-15 21:06:35

DD's orthodontist at hospital (Rochdale infirmary) was absolutely shocking. It was a very stressful experience, cancelled appointments, the waiting time and waiting system was abysmal. It made me ill!

When it was DS's turn we went private, supported by our dentist. Omplegely different experience.

Anyone who is going through a hospital orthodontist has my deepest and heartfelt sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now