repairing a damaged relationship

(3 Posts)
nicjane37 Thu 23-Apr-15 11:45:58

i want to repair a damaged relationship with my 18 yr old son. For the last 5 years he has lived with his dad. When my son left, mentally we were rock bottom. I have since worked (really) hard with docs,counselling and depression groups to build me back up. My son is really gifted and really funny,but angry with me too. Which I fully understand. I message him occasionally but with no response. His dad doesn't tell me much about him either. I would like to know whether I can move forward from messaging or just wait for a reply. I have read lots of articles that contradict each other, so I thought mumsnet is a real life place to get advice.

nequidnimis Thu 23-Apr-15 12:54:55

I don't have any personal experience, and expect someone more helpful will be along soon, but my gut feeling is that a heartfelt letter may appear more sincere and meaningful than a text or email.

Obviously I don't know how much making up you have to do, but do you have the sort of relationship with your ex that would allow you to approach him to get a feel for your DS's current thinking about you, and/or to mediate?

cypress35 Wed 27-Jul-16 08:59:56

I just have to stop doing the things which annoy him. Which is extremely hard work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now