Talk

Advanced search

Gap year volunteering

(6 Posts)
Rokerwriter Tue 03-Mar-15 14:57:35

DD wants to do a short (around 7 weeks) volunteering programme before going to uni. Does anyone have any experience of this, what organisations are good to use, etc? I've looked at VSO but there seems to be loads on the internet and I'm not sure which are ethical or reputable. Anyone?

ancientandmodern Tue 03-Mar-15 17:16:53

Two of mine have used Projects Abroad - flexible on dates, length of time at project, and good back up in UK and in the country they volunteer in. But not cheap!
www.projects-abroad.co.uk/?mh_keyword=projects-abroad&gclid=CIbitOrXjMQCFYjLtAod5FEADw

lazymum99 Tue 03-Mar-15 22:42:30

Ds2 used projects abroad and went to Peru for 5 weeks. It seemed well organised. He went on his own and it all worked well. He had worked for 11 months of his gap year and paid for himself. As said above it is pricey.

ISingSoprano Thu 05-Mar-15 13:26:05

My ds went with Plan My Gap Year (PMGY) who were brilliant. The organisation in the UK was very good with very speedy response to queries and in country support during the time he was away was amazing (he had a head injury and needed overnight hospitalisation - he was VERY well cared for).

dexter73 Thu 05-Mar-15 14:23:28

My niece is doing one in Costa Rica through GVI and she says it is very badly organised and isn't enjoying it much. Cost a fortune too.

Rokerwriter Mon 29-Jun-15 16:24:28

ISingSoprano I know it's ages ago but I hope you see this. She is currently in Ghana with PMGY and loving every minute. They did everything they needed to to put my mind at rest, so thanks for the recommendation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now