Advanced search

What do I need to do regarding Child Benefit etc for a 16 year old?

(10 Posts)
Mandy2003 Fri 13-Feb-15 13:10:39

He's going into sixth form, will still be living at home etc etc. Do I need to contact Child Benefit office and HMRC Tax Credits to tell them? Does anyone know if the amount of Child Tax Credit that I will receive while he's in full time education will change?

Also, what happens for the first year of Uni? I've read that child benefits continue to the age of 19 but I thought that was only for students with special needs. A friend of mine said had to pay extra council tax every time her 19 year old was home from Uni even though it was just in vacations and he was doing a full time course. I thought students were exempt?

antshouse Fri 13-Feb-15 14:08:40

Last year I was sent a form to fill in asking where she was going after year eleven. Sent it back and child benefit just continued. It ends the end of August after they are 18 so before they start uni. Not sure about TCs or CT benefit but I would think as long as they are in full time , non advanced education all would be the same.

dementedpixie Fri 13-Feb-15 14:14:13

BackforGood Sat 14-Feb-15 21:14:12

You get sent a form, and you return it saying they are going into the 6th form, and the money carries on.
No, it only carries on until the 31st August after they are 18, not while they are at University.

bloodyteenagers Sat 14-Feb-15 21:49:36

I called them an said they are in college and the expected year they finish.
Council tax I was told if they remain here after 17 and still in full time ed, will get the discount. Not sure about them moving out and coming back for holidays though.

bloodyteenagers Sat 14-Feb-15 21:49:55

Sorry after 18, not 17.

snozzlemaid Sat 14-Feb-15 22:03:40

I received a letter to fill in about child benefit but I had to ring tax credits when my payments stopped to let them know he ds was at college. My wtc payments stayed roughly the same.

lazymum99 Sun 15-Feb-15 19:45:23

Sixth forms give out a letter proving they are in full time education. This is useful for tax credits. You can keep getting both child benefit and child tax credits until they turn 20 as long as they stay in' non advanced education'. This is not university. If you get housing benefit you must also tell them they are full time students otherwise it will be reduced by something called 'non dependent Deduction'

Quiero Sun 15-Feb-15 19:51:04

They will send you a form and you complete it saying he is in full time further education. It will stop when he goes to University regardless of age. It would only be payable at 19 if he was still on a further education course.

Quiero Sun 15-Feb-15 19:51:56

Oh and yes the amounts stay the same.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: