Advanced search

Anyone done a 'Living with Teenagers' course thru schools or local govt?

(5 Posts)
lljkk Wed 04-Feb-15 20:11:09

Offered in 4-8 week x 2 hour sessions, has anyone done one & could comment?

I usually get very depressed by parenting classes. Everyone else finishes upbeat they're armed with new skills & knowledge & I leave depressed that there's too much to remember & it's too complicated.

So I think answer for me is Not to do course offered by DC high school. But trying to be open-minded.

cleo14 Fri 06-Feb-15 08:58:15

Would it be a good option for you to do nothing? What I mean is, is your doc behaviour making you feel like you need the support? Sometimes just being part of a group is a good support and if you're able to take any of it in, it's a bonus

lljkk Fri 06-Feb-15 09:20:10

Good question & point. I wondered if I could reduce the bad moments by even 5% if that would be worthwhile. I don't think a support group would get created out of it for me, but I could at least wave hello at a few more parents (probably).

TeenAndTween Fri 06-Feb-15 10:14:24

Not this one, but something that sounds similar run by ReCap parent Training in Hampshire (may be a one person company though), which were interesting and would have been very useful if my teen were causing problems . Will probably come in handy for my now 10year old.

Lots of info on communication, how not to escalate things, suitable consequences, how the teen brain works etc.

I would think definitely worth a go if you're having problems.

chocoluvva Sun 08-Feb-15 11:17:46

I did one based on Nicky and Sila Lee's book/dvd, hosted by a local church. It was quite jolly! It slightly changed my attitude to some things and reinforced my feelings about some things. And I ignored one part as I didn't agree with it.
Hearing about other parents experiences can be reassuring in the sense that you will realise that some of your 'problems' are normal and you'll discover that there are things you didn't know you're doing well that other parents are finding difficult.

I think a lot will depend on the dynamic of the group.

Perhaps you could go and stop after two or three sessions if you don't find it useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now